Choosing Free Variable for Generalized Eigenvector

In summary, the conversation discusses a repeated roots problem and the choice of a free variable when solving for the generalized eigenvector. It is noted that both choices are equally valid, with the standard basis being preferred if the eigenspace is the entire space. Additionally, the conversation addresses a typo in a matrix and the calculation of eigenspaces. It is concluded that the eigenspace is one-dimensional and is spanned by a single vector, while the other basis vector is only annihilated by (A+1)^2.
rugerts
Homework Statement
Find general solution of DE
Relevant Equations
Eigenvector and eigenvalue eqns
IMG-2049.JPG
IMG-2050.JPG
As you can see from my eigenvalues, here I've got a repeated roots problem. I'm wondering if it matters which variable I can choose to be the free variable when I'm solving for the generalized eigenvector. I think both are equally valid but they look different from one another and I'd like to know the reason behind why either choice would be fine.
Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have a typo in your last matrix at ##(1,1)## and thus wrong eigenvectors.

Anyway, we have a two dimensional eigenspace to the eigenvalue ##-1##, so the eigenvectors span the entire vector space. How you set the parameter doesn't matter, as long as you keep the linear independent.

If the eigenspace is the entire space, there's no reason not to use the standard basis.

pasmith said:
If the eigenspace is the entire space, there's no reason not to use the standard basis.
You are right and i was wrong. We have only a one dimensional eigenspace, spanned by a single vector.
The eigenspace is annihilated by ##(A+1)## whereas the other basis vector of ##\mathbb{R}^2## is only annihilated by ##(A+1)^2##.

##\operatorname{ker}(A+1)= \operatorname{span}(1,\frac{1}{2})## and ##\operatorname{ker}(A+1)^2 = \mathbb{R}^2##

Last edited:

1. What is a free variable in the context of generalized eigenvectors?

A free variable in the context of generalized eigenvectors refers to a variable that can take on any value, without affecting the solution of a system of linear equations. It is often used when finding generalized eigenvectors to simplify the process and make the calculations easier.

2. How do you choose the free variable when finding generalized eigenvectors?

The free variable is typically chosen based on the structure of the matrix and the specific eigenvalue being considered. It is usually selected to make the calculations as simple as possible, and can vary depending on the specific problem being solved.

3. Why is it important to choose a free variable when finding generalized eigenvectors?

Choosing a free variable allows for a simpler and more efficient method of finding generalized eigenvectors. It also helps to reduce the number of calculations needed and can provide a more elegant solution to the problem.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for choosing a free variable?

There are no strict rules for choosing a free variable, as it ultimately depends on the specific problem being solved. However, it is important to choose a variable that simplifies the calculations and does not affect the overall solution.

5. Can the choice of free variable affect the final solution for generalized eigenvectors?

No, the choice of free variable does not affect the final solution for generalized eigenvectors. As long as the free variable is chosen correctly and does not affect the calculations, the end result will be the same regardless of which variable is chosen.