Linear Algebra: Solving a system with free variables

In summary, it appears that the problem asks for the parametric equation for a vector in terms of another vector, but doesn't give any information about what "t"'s might mean.
Ryry013
Here is a picture of the problem.
95a5184073482d018c453a322f0bf325.png
Can anyone give me some hints on the problem? I've looked in my textbook, but I don't know what "s" means. I found stuff on the parametric vector form, and it gives me the equation x = su + tv, but I don't see any "t"'s in this problem.

I first tried setting up an augmented matrix with

[ 1 1 0 0 | -3 ]
[ 0 1 1 0 | -3 ]
[ 0 0 1 1 | -4 ]
[ 1 0 0 1 | -4 ]

And I solved for the four variables, like:
x1 = -3 - x2
x2 = -3 - x3
x3 = -4 - x4
x4 = -4 - x1

And now I'm stumped. I didn't think these would do anything, but setting the first and second rows equal to each other, and the third and fourth rows equal to each other simply gets x1 - x3 = 0 for both of them.

I didn't think this would do anything either, but I tried also back substituting the x1 equation into the x4 equation, and then the x2 equation into x4, and so on, and that ended up with x4 = x4.

Physics news on Phys.org
edit: never my idea didn't work

Chas3down said:
edit: never my idea didn't work

Thanks for the try though.

Ryry013 said:
Here is a picture of the problem.
95a5184073482d018c453a322f0bf325.png
Can anyone give me some hints on the problem? I've looked in my textbook, but I don't know what "s" means. I found stuff on the parametric vector form, and it gives me the equation x = su + tv, but I don't see any "t"'s in this problem.

I first tried setting up an augmented matrix with

[ 1 1 0 0 | -3 ]
[ 0 1 1 0 | -3 ]
[ 0 0 1 1 | -4 ]
[ 1 0 0 1 | -4 ]

And I solved for the four variables, like:
x1 = -3 - x2
x2 = -3 - x3
x3 = -4 - x4
x4 = -4 - x1
It looks like you didn't actually do anything with your augmented matrix. Use row reduction to get the matrix in reduced row echelon form. When it's completely reduced you can solve for x1, x2, and x3 in terms of x4. Your solution will look like a vector + a parameter (that's s) times another vector.
Ryry013 said:
And now I'm stumped. I didn't think these would do anything, but setting the first and second rows equal to each other, and the third and fourth rows equal to each other simply gets x1 - x3 = 0 for both of them.

I didn't think this would do anything either, but I tried also back substituting the x1 equation into the x4 equation, and then the x2 equation into x4, and so on, and that ended up with x4 = x4.

I agree with Mark44. When I row reduce the augmented matrix, I get all "0"s in the last row, non-zero values in the third column and fourth columns.
Something like this:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & a_1 & b_1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & a_2 & b_2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & a_3 & b_3 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
(with, of course, specific numbers for the "a"s and "b"s but I wanted to leave that fun to you!)

That is equivalent to the equation [itex]x_1+ a_1x_4= b_1[/itex], [itex]x_2+ a_2x_4= b_4[/itex], and [itex]x_3+ a_3x_4= b_4[/itex] which can be solved as "[itex]a_i[/itex] equals a number plus a multiple of [itex]x_4[/itex]".

1. What is a free variable in a linear algebra system?

A free variable in a linear algebra system is a variable that can take on any value. It is not restricted by any equation or constraint and can be chosen arbitrarily. In other words, it is a variable that is not dependent on any other variable in the system.

2. How do I know if a linear algebra system has free variables?

A linear algebra system has free variables if there are more unknown variables than equations. This means that there are not enough equations to fully determine the values of all the variables, and some variables will be left as free variables.

3. How do I solve a linear algebra system with free variables?

To solve a linear algebra system with free variables, you first need to identify the free variables by setting them equal to a parameter, such as t or s. Then, you can use the remaining equations to solve for the dependent variables in terms of the free variables. This will give you a general solution that includes the free variables.

4. Can a linear algebra system with free variables have multiple solutions?

Yes, a linear algebra system with free variables can have multiple solutions. This is because the free variables can take on any value, which will result in different solutions for the dependent variables. The number of solutions will depend on the number of free variables in the system.

5. How can I use linear algebra to solve real-world problems with free variables?

Linear algebra can be used to model and solve a variety of real-world problems with free variables. For example, it can be used to find the optimal solution for a system with multiple variables and constraints, such as in economics or engineering. It can also be used to analyze and predict trends in data with multiple variables, such as in machine learning and data science.