Choosing repeating variable in pi Buckingham theorem

In summary: D = F / ρ(D^2)(V^2) , so eventually , i will get μDV = F ?In summary, the author's working is that μ/ρvD=f(ρvD/μ). The other equation, which is x=μ/ ρvD and y=Fρ / (μ^2), is also equivalent.
foo9008

Homework Statement

why we can't form the pi group by using repeating variable of (μ, ρ , v) or (D, v , μ ) ?
http://www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/web/li...mal_dvd_only/aero/fprops/dimension/node9.html
http://www.efm.leeds.ac.uk/CIVE/CIVE1400/Section5/dimensional_analysis.htm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

according to the principle , when we choose the repeating variable , it can't form the dimensionless group , right ? for (μ, ρ , v) , i have (M/LT)(M/(L^3))(L/T) , i got (M^2)(L^-3)(T^-2)
for (D, v , μ ) , i have (L)(L/T)(M/LT) , i got ML(T^-2) , both group are not dimensionless, why is it a must to form group by using (D, ρ , v) ??

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, it is perfectly fine to choose any group which is dimensionally independent. But be aware that it is not sufficient to check the product of the variables to conclude this as you seem to be doing.

Edit: Just one additional thing. Although you are free to pick any dimensionally independent group, some might work better or worse for your purposes. The theorem does not tell you which is the best choice.

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
In general, it is perfectly fine to choose any group which is dimensionally independent. But be aware that it is not sufficient to check the product of the variables to conclude this as you seem to be doing.

Edit: Just one additional thing. Although you are free to pick any dimensionally independent group, some might work better or worse for your purposes. The theorem does not tell you which is the best choice.
so , we have to try and error to get the correct ans ?

foo9008 said:
well, after reading the thread , i still can't understand why we can't choose other combination of repeating factor other than (D, ρ , v) ? can you explain further?
As I wrote in the final post on the thread, any three of D, ρ, v or μ could have been used.

haruspex said:
As I wrote in the final post on the thread, any three of D, ρ, v or μ could have been used.
haruspex said:
do you mean no matter which combination of D, ρ, v or μ , i would get the same answer too?

foo9008 said:
do you mean no matter which combination of D, ρ, v or μ , i would get the same answer too?
Try it.

haruspex said:
Try it.
taking ρ, v and μ as repeating variables , i form 2 pi group , but i can't get the ans ... why ?

Attachments

• 1420002.jpg
    1420002.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 669
You will not get the same ##\pi##s, but the relations will be equivalent.

foo9008 said:
taking ρ, v and μ as repeating variables , i form 2 pi group , but i can't get the ans ... why ?
You left something out of the L equation in the left hand column.

Likes foo9008
haruspex said:
deleted

Last edited:
foo9008 said:
what equation ? can you point out please ?
ok , i have done the correction , and my ans is Fρ / (μ^2) = f(ρvD / μ) , but my ans is not consistent with the author's working which is
μ/ ρvD = f ( F / ρ(v^2)(D^2) )

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 451
haruspex said:
i have also tried out forming pi group by taking the repeating variable as ρ , μ , D , the ans that i got is same as post #13 .
however , when i choose repeating variable as v , μ , D , my ans is different ( i got (FD/ vμ ) = f(vDρ/μ) instead of (Fρ/ μ^2 ) = f( vDρ/μ) ) . why is it so ?

foo9008 said:
ok , i have done the correction , and my ans is Fρ / (μ^2) = f(ρvD / μ) , but my ans is not consistent with the author's working which is
μ
/ ρvD = f ( F / ρ(v^2)(D^2) )
It is consistent.
Let's write x=μ/ ρvD and y=Fρ / (μ^2). You got y=f(x), the author got x=f(y/x2) for some other function f. These are effectively the same.

Likes foo9008
haruspex said:
It is consistent.
Let's write x=μ/ ρvD and y=Fρ / (μ^2). You got y=f(x), the author got x=f(y/x2) for some other function f. These are effectively the same.
sorry , i don't understand . do you mean from the author's working , i can remove the f( ) , and make μ/ ρvD = F / ρ(D^2)(V^2) , so eventually , i will get μDV = F ? for pi group with (ρ , V , μ , F) and (ρ , V , μ , D) , i will get Fρ/ (μ^2) = f( ρvD / μ) , after rearranging , i will also get μDV = F

foo9008 said:
sorry , i don't understand . do you mean from the author's working , i can remove the f( ) , and make μ/ ρvD = F / ρ(D^2)(V^2) , so eventually , i will get μDV = F ? for pi group with (ρ , V , μ , F) and (ρ , V , μ , D) , i will get Fρ/ (μ^2) = f( ρvD / μ) , after rearranging , i will also get μDV = F
No, I mean that saying y is a function of x is, generally speaking, equivalent to saying x is a function of y/x2.
Examples:
Y=2x is the same as x= 2/(y/x2)
Y=x4 is the same as x=(y/x2)1/2.

But it doesn't always work. There is no way to express y=x2 in the form x=f(y/x2)
Translating that back, your form can express F=AρV2D2 but the author's cannot. Likewise, the author's can express ρvD=Aμ, but yours cannot. That is a limitation of writing things in the form y=f(x); it cannot express a vertical line, i.e. x is constant. That problem would be solved by writing instead f(x,y)=0.

Likes foo9008
haruspex said:
No, I mean that saying y is a function of x is, generally speaking, equivalent to saying x is a function of y/x2.
Examples:

But it doesn't always work. There is no way to express y=x2 in the form x=f(y/x2)
Translating that back, your form can express F=AρV2D2 but the author's cannot. Likewise, the author's can express ρvD=Aμ, but yours cannot. That is a limitation of writing things in the form y=f(x); it cannot express a vertical line, i.e. x is constant. That problem would be solved by writing instead f(x,y)=0.
So, my working in post 13 is correct??

haruspex said:
Examples:

in my working , i only show that F(ρ)/ (μ^2) = f(ρvD / μ) , where is F=AρV2D2 ?
can you point out which part of the author's working show ρvD=Aμ ? i didnt see it

foo9008 said:
in my working , i only show that F(ρ)/ (μ^2) = f(ρvD / μ) , where is F=AρV2D2 ?
can you point out which part of the author's working show ρvD=Aμ ? i didnt see it
No, you misunderstand. F=AρV2D2 is merely an example of Fρ/ (μ^2) = f(ρvD / μ) . Specifically, it is if the function f is f(x)=Ax2.

foo9008 said:
So, my working in post 13 is correct??
Yes.

haruspex said:
No, you misunderstand. F=AρV2D2 is merely an example of Fρ/ (μ^2) = f(ρvD / μ) . Specifically, it is if the function f is f(x)=Ax2.
haruspex said:
oh , no ... i am getting more confused now , can you explain in another way round ?

foo9008 said:
oh , no ... i am getting more confused now , can you explain in another way round ?
The theorem only states that the relation must be in the form of a function of dimensionless variables. It does not tell you what this function is and depending on your choice of repeating variables, the function describing your relationship will be different (because you will have different dimensionless variables). What haruspex gave you was an example.

haruspex said:
Yes.
for repeating factor ( v, μ , D ) , i can form pi group with ( v, μ , D , F ) and ( v, μ , D , ρ) , i got (F/ v μ D) = f(v D ρ / μ) , after rearranging , i got F = ρ (D^2)(v^2) , is my working correct ?

Attachments

• 143.jpg
    143.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 373
foo9008 said:
for repeating factor ( v, μ , D ) , i can form pi group with ( v, μ , D , F ) and ( v, μ , D , ρ) , i got (F/ v μ D) = f(v D ρ / μ) , after rearranging , i got F = ρ (D^2)(v^2) , is my working correct ?
The Buckingam pi theorem tells you nothing about what the function f is. Again, haruspex's Ax^2 was an example.

What is the "pi Buckingham theorem" and why is it important for scientists?

The pi Buckingham theorem is a mathematical principle, also known as the Buckingham Pi theorem, that is used to determine the number and types of independent variables needed to describe a physical phenomenon. It is important for scientists because it allows them to simplify complex equations and identify the key variables that affect a system, making it easier to analyze and understand.

What is a repeating variable in the pi Buckingham theorem?

A repeating variable in the pi Buckingham theorem is a variable that appears in multiple terms of an equation. These variables can be combined using the pi theorem to eliminate redundant terms and simplify the equation.

How do scientists choose repeating variables in the pi Buckingham theorem?

Scientists choose repeating variables by carefully examining the equation and identifying any variables that appear more than once. These variables are then combined using the pi theorem to create dimensionless groups, which can be used to simplify the equation and determine the key variables.

What are the benefits of using the pi Buckingham theorem in scientific research?

The pi Buckingham theorem allows scientists to reduce the number of variables needed to describe a physical phenomenon, making equations simpler and easier to analyze. It also helps identify the most important variables that affect a system, allowing for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles at work.

Are there any limitations to using the pi Buckingham theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the pi Buckingham theorem. It only applies to physical phenomena that can be described by mathematical equations, and it may not work for all types of systems. Additionally, it assumes that the variables are continuous and that there are no interactions between them, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.