Choosing the Right Laptop: Tips and Personal Experiences

• Thread starter ME_student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary: My old Dell Inspirion had a C2D7350 and 6GB of memory and ran CAD and other programs just fine. There is no one laptop that is perfect for everyone. You will need to do some research and decide what is important to you. Some people focus more on the hardware than the software, while others focus more on the software. You will need to decide what is important to you.
ME_student
So I have been doing tons and tons of research on laptop computers. I have not found one that I like yet, but I know two brands I am leaning towards, Dell and Asus.

One of my friend is a computer fanatic. He keeps on telling me to get a laptop with the i7 2nd gen processor and at least six to eight GB of ram or memory?

I plan on using the laptop strictly for school and work. I want a laptop that can handle a lot of software, plan on downloading CAD programs to the laptop. I like to hear your own personal opinion and share your experiences with the laptops computers you dealt with before, thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I used to be a Dell person, now I'm loyal to ASUS. How intense of CAD are we talking? If professional grade then we could be talking a very expensive laptop.

This would prolly do
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007YZA7SE/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Greg Bernhardt said:
I used to be a Dell person, now I'm loyal to ASUS. How intense of CAD are we talking? If professional grade then we could be talking a very expensive laptop.

This would prolly do
I have that ASUS machine and it is a very capable laptop. It is heavy, and I'd hate to lug it around to classes, etc, but is does more than my old desktop could. I have to keep a mouse plugged into it, because I hate touch-pads in general, and this one is no different. Still, an i7 with lots of RAM is a potent combination.

Why did this thread get moved?

Greg Bernhardt said:

This would prolly do

My budget is in between $500-$1200 max. That is a nice laptop though.

turbo said:
I have that ASUS machine and it is a very capable laptop. It is heavy, and I'd hate to lug it around to classes, etc, but is does more than my old desktop could. I have to keep a mouse plugged into it, because I hate touch-pads in general, and this one is no different. Still, an i7 with lots of RAM is a potent combination.

Since this laptop is out of my price range would there be another laptop that is a little cheaper you would recommend?

ME_student said:
Since this laptop is out of my price range would there be another laptop that is a little cheaper you would recommend?

You won't find a quality laptop with 8gb memory and a video card capable of decent CAD animation for $1200.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You won't find a quality laptop with 8gb memory and a video card capable of decent CAD animation for $1200.

:frown:

Hmmmmmm okay well is there another laptop you recommend?

ME_student said:
I have not researched them thoroughly, and I was shooting out of your price-range anyway. If you want one in that price range, it will almost certainly be a PC (vs Apple), and it will likely not have a potent-enough combination of CPU/RAM to handle lots of CAD work. I could be wrong about this, as there may be leaner CAD programs than I was used to. Sorry not to be as helpful as I would have liked.

ME_student said:
:frown:

It's critical to know what you're going to be doing with the CAD software. Can you do the rendering on a school lab computer?

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's critical to know what you're going to be doing with the CAD software. Can you do the rendering on a school lab computer?

Most likely. I wanted a laptop that could run CAD in case I ever wanted to download a CAD program on my personal computer.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Just about, good find! That should be good enough for most student work. Hopefully any intense rendering can be done on a lab computer. Good luck!

Thanks for your help.

Me ol' Samsung X460 notebook which only has a C2D7350 and 3GB of memory runs CAD programs just fine. I mainly do somewhat small projects but it will run just about anything in reason as far as any kind of coursework or projects you would do in uni. If you're modeling thing that needs more than that you shouldn't get a laptop anyway but workstation.

Focus more on something that has a good light weight chassis, good battery life, and quality components (aka, not Dell, Toshiba, HP, Compaq, Lenovo, etc). Asus makes some nice machines except they've been slipping on quality with their lower end machines lately.

I'd recommend something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006KYY0PQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Well if you are not willing to stick to specific brand , then you can check these two laptops from MSI.

MSI G Series GT600NC-004US Notebook:
Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz)
15.6" 1080p Display
12GB DDR3 1666mhz Memory
1TB HDD 7200rpm
DVD Super Multi
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 3gb GDDR5 GFX card
This one is having a very high configuration inn terms of hardware along with 1080p HD Screen.
Its priced at ~1400$.

There is a similar version with a little bit lower specs :

MSI G Series GE70 0ND-033US Notebook
Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz)
17.3" 1080p
8GB Memory DDR3 1600mhz
750GB HDD 7200rpm
DVD Super Multi
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 2gb DDR5
6mb l3 cache
Its priced @1200$ approx.

^^^Thanks, I will look into those laptops.

I have not decided yet. I am leaning towards the Asus know since I found one that will suit me... I probably won't be buying until I start working again, currently unemployed.:frown:

1. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing a laptop?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a laptop are your budget, intended use, processing power, storage capacity, and portability. It's important to prioritize which features are most important to you and find a laptop that meets those needs within your budget.

2. Should I choose a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook laptop?

This decision depends on your personal preferences and needs. Windows laptops are the most versatile and have the widest range of options, while Mac laptops are known for their sleek design and user-friendly interface. Chromebooks are a more budget-friendly option, but they have limited capabilities and rely heavily on an internet connection.

3. How much RAM and storage do I need in a laptop?

The amount of RAM and storage you need also depends on your intended use. For basic tasks like web browsing and word processing, 4-8GB of RAM and 128-256GB of storage should suffice. For more demanding tasks like video editing or gaming, you may need 16-32GB of RAM and 512GB-1TB of storage.

4. What is the average lifespan of a laptop?

The average lifespan of a laptop is between 3-5 years, but it can vary depending on the brand, model, and usage. Proper maintenance and regular software updates can help prolong the lifespan of a laptop.

5. Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for certain tasks?

Yes, there are certain brands and models that are known for excelling in certain tasks. For example, Dell XPS laptops are popular for their high processing power and graphics, while Lenovo ThinkPads are known for their durability and business features. It's important to research and read reviews to find the best laptop for your specific needs.