Choosing the Right Radiator for Your Vehicle

• Thread starter Party Pants
  • Start date
In summary, the five-month-old Integra is having trouble going beyond 70 mph because the radiator can't expose the engine to the right amount of fluid. The first thing to check is the thermostat, and if that's not the issue, the next step would be to look for obstructions in the air or fluid flow. If all of that fails, the car may be overheating due to modifications or driving conditions.
Party Pants
Are all radiators the same? I've got a five-month-old Integra and already I have done a radiator replacement because the one stockfitted on the engine bay can't allow the Integra to breach the 70 mph mark. I looked around at an auto radiator shop called http://www.overnightradiator.com/ The replacements available for my Integra looked all the same to me. I looked them up at the specs sheet but I can't get the whole picture, they might be all empty talks, you know what I mean? I figured to look for info first before I get a replacement. I'm a little green on this subject, so may I ask you guys what I should get?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't understand what the radiator has to do with the vehicle not being able to attain a certain speed. Unless the car is overheating, it doesn't.

Radiators can have the same physical size, but differ in performance. The one thing that is the most influential to its performance is the surface area that is exposed to the fluid streams inside. The area is created by folds, bends, fins and anything else that can be done to make the exposed area as large as possible. Usually, for a car, the radiator is sized for the power output of that paricular engine. There are other aspects that can have an effect, but that is the biggie.

Also, radiator and engine efficiency both increase with speed until you get to your top gear and radiator efficiency continues to increase from there. A car should not overheat because of going too fast, most die due to driving in 1st gear too much (ie, in traffic) or while not moving.

Unless you've done engine modifications that would increase the heat output, the stock unit should be more than adequate for any normal climate. As a possible complication, check to make sure that there are no obstructions to the air or fluid flow in the area. An aftermarket fancy grill, for instance, might not let enough air through.
The first thing that I would investigate, however, is to make sure that you have the proper thermostat and that it's in good working order.

Why can a 5 month old Integra not go above 70mph?

You shouldn't be needing to replace any parts like radiators after 5 months. And, as others have said, I don't see how the radiator is limiting the speed.

More info please.

You should check the thermostatic valve, which is typically placed somewhere in the coolant-loop (either near the radiator or near the engine block - See your workshop manual for the specific location). These are typically mechanical units, and thus may vary in calibration. Thus, if you have a unit with a slightly higher than normal opening temperature and you are in a hot climate, your engine may tend to overheat. These valves aren't too expensive, so the easy choice might be to simply to replace it, and see if it helps...

As others say: There is NO way a badly functioning radiator will limit your top speed. It may cause your engine to overheat if you run it at high rpm's for extended periods, but more likely you would see the engine overheating while standing still and idling for long periods (as this is the situation where the least amount of air pass through the radiator, even despite the radiator fan operating).

If your car simply won't go beyond a fixed speed, it is much more likely due to a restriction in the injection (or ignition) electronics. In that case you could possibly get a replacement chip for the engine, without this artificial limitation. Most car factories provide such "tuning chips", and otherwise there are a number of companies specializing in making them.

All the above is good input but i have a few questions
when did this 70 mph cap occur?
has it always been this way or did it just happen?
what were the driving conditions prior to this mph cap?

with todays car designs for max MPG and highly aero dependant the front of the car is really restricted regarding air input. since the intake air intake and grille to the radiator are both up front, i suspect the intake air filter and radiator may have got plugged to the point of now working to max efficent. did you check the air filter?
were you driving on a real dusty dirt road just before the car started acting up?
did you blow out the radiator core with an air nozzle before you took out the radiator?

we do not assume anything when we trouble shoot so you got to look at everything

Old thread, brought back by spam. Locked.

Related to Choosing the Right Radiator for Your Vehicle

1. Are all radiators the same in terms of size and shape?

No, radiators come in various sizes and shapes depending on the needs and preferences of the user. There are small radiators for compact spaces and larger ones for bigger rooms. They also come in different shapes such as panel, column, and compact designs.

2. Do all radiators use the same type of fuel?

No, radiators can use different types of fuel such as electricity, gas, oil, or wood. The type of fuel used depends on the type of radiator and its purpose. For example, electric radiators are more common in homes while gas or oil radiators are often used for larger spaces or industrial purposes.

3. Are all radiators equally efficient in heating a room?

No, the efficiency of a radiator depends on various factors such as its size, design, and heating technology. Some radiators may be more efficient in heating a room compared to others. It is important to choose a radiator that is suitable for the size and layout of the room to ensure maximum efficiency.

4. Do all radiators have the same lifespan?

No, the lifespan of a radiator depends on the quality of materials used, the frequency of maintenance, and the type of fuel used. Electric radiators, for example, tend to have a longer lifespan compared to gas or oil radiators. Regular maintenance and proper usage can also prolong the lifespan of a radiator.

5. Are all radiators equally safe to use?

No, the safety of a radiator depends on its design, installation, and usage. Radiators that are properly installed and used according to manufacturer's instructions are generally safe. However, it is important to regularly check for any damages or malfunctions to ensure the safety of the users.