1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chromatic image through a double circle aperture

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am conducting an experiment and i am displaying diffraction images of light through 2 pinholes on a DSLR camera. I get a good image with lasers but when I capture images of chromatic light i only get the top half (semi circle) image. can someone explain to me why this occurs? I think its something to do with the camera sensor and pixel ratio but i am not sure.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I have absolutely no knowledge of this subject, but do (vaguely) know something that might have bearing upon it. When looking up why cats have slit pupils in their eyes, I discovered that it's because circular ones distort colour perception according to what angle the light approaches from. Slits eliminate that.
    It's probably irrelevant to you, but I figured that I should mention it.

4. Apr 22, 2013 #3
    Ah ok thanks very much for your reply, it might be to do with the angle but i think it is something depending on the pixel resolution n sensor.

5. Apr 22, 2013 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You're probably right. I did just realized that I didn't express that explanation quite properly. It's not the incident angle of the light into the pupil that matters; it's the distance from the centre, which affects the angle at which the lens deflects it. Having thought that through, I realize that it wouldn't apply to a camera.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook