Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chromatic image through a double circle aperture

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am conducting an experiment and i am displaying diffraction images of light through 2 pinholes on a DSLR camera. I get a good image with lasers but when I capture images of chromatic light i only get the top half (semi circle) image. can someone explain to me why this occurs? I think its something to do with the camera sensor and pixel ratio but i am not sure.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I have absolutely no knowledge of this subject, but do (vaguely) know something that might have bearing upon it. When looking up why cats have slit pupils in their eyes, I discovered that it's because circular ones distort colour perception according to what angle the light approaches from. Slits eliminate that.
    It's probably irrelevant to you, but I figured that I should mention it.

4. Apr 22, 2013 #3
    Ah ok thanks very much for your reply, it might be to do with the angle but i think it is something depending on the pixel resolution n sensor.

5. Apr 22, 2013 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You're probably right. I did just realized that I didn't express that explanation quite properly. It's not the incident angle of the light into the pupil that matters; it's the distance from the centre, which affects the angle at which the lens deflects it. Having thought that through, I realize that it wouldn't apply to a camera.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook