Is there a chronology in the multiverse?

• Thread starter JC_CAN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiverse
In summary, there are multiple universes and it is an infinite regress to ask if time exists outside of a bubble universe.
JC_CAN
Chronology in the multiverse...

One version of the multiverse suggests that our bubble universe came from a progenitor universe and that our universe itself may have spawned progeny universes. Does this not imply a chronology outside of the spacetime continuum of our bubble universe?

Please help me here because I understand time to exist only back to the singularity that created our universe. But, if there were a progenitor universe, would it not have its own space-time continuum that existed "before" ours?

It seems to me that our concept of time applies only from within our universe and that an infinite continuum is needed to describe the chronology of bubble universes.

Space news on Phys.org
Yes, of course! Each "universe" has its own "space-time".

Thank you HallsofIvy,

So each "universe" has its own "space-time", which means that our sense of time is relative to observers within our universe. The question then is about the chronology of multiple "universes" from parent universe to daughter universe. Is it not an infinite regress? An infinite number of bubble universes came before ours and our universe will spawn an infinite number of new universes? Can we even talk about time outside of a bubble universe?

Also, I quite enjoyed the book "A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss, but I struggled with the idea because it seems inconsistent with the "bubble" universes that physicists like Michio Kaku describe. One bubble giving rise to the next seems not to be from "nothing" but from "everything"! Our universe may have a total energy of zero, but if spawned from a progenitor universe, then it can hardly be considered a universe from nothing.

JC_CAN said:
So each "universe" has its own "space-time", which means that our sense of time is relative to observers within our universe. The question then is about the chronology of multiple "universes" from parent universe to daughter universe. Is it not an infinite regress? An infinite number of bubble universes came before ours and our universe will spawn an infinite number of new universes? Can we even talk about time outside of a bubble universe?

We don't know. Such things are not observable, and any answer would be pure speculation.

What multiverse?

Eternal inflation is the main justification for a multiverse in comsology.
According to this paper there is a first "pocket universe"
http://arxiv.org/abs/grqc/0110012
However others dispute this;
http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.0589
is one example.

I hope that one day we will learn if the multiverse exists or not. But I am not holding my breath. Even if one day there is some experimental evidence to go over, I very much doubt it will resolve the above controversey.

1. What is the multiverse theory?

The multiverse theory is the idea that there are multiple parallel universes that exist alongside our own. These universes could have different laws of physics, different versions of history, and even different versions of ourselves.

2. How does chronology work in the multiverse?

In the multiverse theory, each universe has its own unique timeline and history. This means that there is no universal chronological order for events across all the universes. Each universe follows its own timeline independently.

3. Is time travel possible in the multiverse?

The concept of time travel is still a highly debated topic in the scientific community. Some theories suggest that time travel may be possible in certain universes within the multiverse, but it is not yet proven.

4. Can events in one universe affect another universe's timeline?

There are theories that suggest that events in one universe may have a ripple effect on other universes in the multiverse. However, this is still a speculation and has not been confirmed by scientific evidence.

5. How does the multiverse theory impact our understanding of time?

The multiverse theory challenges our traditional understanding of time as a linear and singular concept. With the possibility of multiple universes existing simultaneously, the concept of time becomes more complex and open to interpretation.