Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit design: electron reverse-diffusion

  1. Dec 10, 2009 #1


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I'm looking for a material that acts like a powered diode. Where the material forces the electrons from from an area of low concentration of electrons to a high concentrated area.

    Think of two tanks of water of the same size and water volume (representing two sources of static electricity), this material would act as a pump, forcing some if not all the water from one container into the other (forcing the electrons from one source to the other regardless of potential difference.)

    This is against conventional circuit physics; but is there or can a material be made that encourages electrons to go from low to high concentrated environments?


  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2
    Hmm, interesting. What do you have in mind for this?

    I don't think any known material can do this b/c it's opposed to the laws of diffusion.
    But I know of a way to make this happen using active circuitry.
  4. Dec 13, 2009 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    In an extremely simplified version of the component is similar to the description I gave above. I need to move some if not all of the static charge accumulated in an electroscope onto another electroscope at (orignally) the same potential using/ wasting as little energy as possible.
    To my understanding, using a step-up transformer might work, but they are large, heavy and somewhat more complex that what i'm aiming for.

  5. Dec 14, 2009 #4
    Cool, sounds like an old timey science project. Since you're dealing with static charge, I don't see how a step-up transformer could be used. They require AC currents and are galvanically isolated so no physical charge could be transferred.

    My technique doesn't fit the bill either, it's best suited for electrochemical applications.

    Have you thought of using additional conductors charged in such a way to encourage the charge transfer to happen as is needed (usually called "induction")? They might need to be moved mechanically, which requires energy but very little.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook