Circuit Question - Combining/Redrawing Circuits

In summary, the circuit on the left was redrawn by adding ideal voltage sources between the marked nodes and ground. This allows for the parallel relationship between R1 and E1, R2 and E2, and the 6 ohm resistor to be represented in the second circuit. The placement of E1 and E2 in the picture is determined by connecting all the grounds together and ensuring the appropriate polarity for the voltage sources. This technique is allowed in circuit theory as it does not violate any principles.
Miike012
Circuit Question -- Combining/Redrawing Circuits

I don't understand how they the circuit on the left was redrawn to be the circuit on the right.

1. How did they know R1 and E1 were parallel to R2 and E2 and the 6 ohm resistor?

2. How did they know that E1 should be position as it is in the picture? Same question for E2.

Attachments

• QQ.jpg
    QQ.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
You think you could make the image just a little smaller? I can almost read this one.

phinds said:
You think you could make the image just a little smaller? I can almost read this one.

I hope this one is better

Attachments

• AA.jpg
    AA.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 434
Miike012 said:
I don't understand how they the circuit on the left was redrawn to be the circuit on the right.

1. How did they know R1 and E1 were parallel to R2 and E2 and the 6 ohm resistor?

2. How did they know that E1 should be position as it is in the picture? Same question for E2.

Take the nodes marked E1 and E2 in the first picture, and place ideal, constant voltage sources (or ideal batteries in this case) with the appropriate emf (voltage) between those nodes and ground. Connect all your grounds, and you should get the second picture (except without RL, since that wasn't in the blue part).

For example, in the first picture, E1 is just hanging there at -6 V. Instead of letting it hang there like that, add in a 6 V source between E1 and ground, paying attention to the polarity such that the original point E1 is negative 6 V with respect to ground. Do the same sort of thing for E2 (except +10 V). Then connect all the grounds together.

You can do that because when a node is "hanging" at a constant voltage like that, it is assumed that a voltage source is present, even though it's not in the diagram. So it's okay to put one in. You're not violating anything with lumped-parameter circuit theory by doing so.

3. How did they know the 6 ohm resistor should be positioned as it is in the picture?

I would approach this question by first understanding the fundamental principles of circuit analysis. In this case, it appears that the circuit was redrawn using the rules of parallel and series resistors. When resistors are connected in parallel, the total resistance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistance. Similarly, when resistors are connected in series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances.

Based on this understanding, it seems that in the redrawn circuit, R1 and E1 are in parallel with R2 and E2, since they share the same endpoints. This means that the total resistance of that branch is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of R1 and E1, which is then in series with the 6 ohm resistor.

As for the positioning of E1 and E2, it is likely that they were placed in that position to maintain the same voltage drop across each resistor in the circuit. This is because in parallel circuits, the voltage drop across each individual resistor is the same, while in series circuits, the voltage drop is divided among the resistors.

The positioning of the 6 ohm resistor could also be determined using the rules of series and parallel resistors. In this case, it appears that the 6 ohm resistor is in series with the branch containing R1 and E1, and is also in parallel with the branch containing R2 and E2.

Overall, it seems that the redrawn circuit was created by applying the principles of parallel and series resistors, along with maintaining the same voltage drop across each resistor. These are fundamental concepts in circuit analysis and can be used to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to understand and analyze.

1. How do I combine multiple circuits together?

To combine multiple circuits, you will first need to redraw them on a single diagram. This can be done by connecting the end of one circuit to the beginning of the next circuit. Make sure to use the correct symbols for each component and label the connections accurately.

2. Can I combine circuits with different voltages?

Yes, you can combine circuits with different voltages. However, you will need to use appropriate components such as resistors or transformers to adjust the voltage levels. It is important to ensure that the combined circuit is within the operating limits of each component and that the voltage is distributed evenly.

3. What happens to the current in a combined circuit?

The current in a combined circuit will be the same throughout. This is because the current is conserved in a series circuit and the same current flows through each component. However, the voltage may change depending on the components used and the arrangement of the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a combined circuit?

The total resistance in a combined circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law. You will need to find the equivalent resistance of the combined circuit by adding the individual resistances in series or using the appropriate formula for parallel circuits. This will give you the total resistance that the current must pass through in the circuit.

5. Can I combine AC and DC circuits?

Yes, you can combine AC and DC circuits. However, it is important to make sure that the components used are suitable for both AC and DC currents. You may also need to use a transformer to adjust the voltage levels between the two circuits. It is important to be careful when working with both AC and DC currents as they can have different effects on components.