Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular apertures in rectangular waveguides

1. Dec 1, 2006 #1

jga

I wish somebody could tell me if he knows articles or information about modeling circular apertures in a transverse metalic plate in a rectangular waveguide. It appears in the "Waveguide Handbook" by N. Marcuvitz, on page 238. Can anybody help me to find more information about this theme? Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2006 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

R Collin, Field Theory of Guided Waves, 2nd ed. (1991) treats apertures in both transverse and long waveguide walls. He also gives an extensive list of references for further exploration.

4. Dec 3, 2006 #3

jga

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will check the book as fast as I can. Other replies will be welcomed, too.

5. Dec 28, 2010 #4
    Hi,

When you are dealing with apertures and performing theoretical SE calculations, would you consider a near-field or a far-field condition? Or both?

i.e. do we have to take into account about the RF or EM wave proximity to the aperture, apart from the aperture dimensions??

Thanks.

6. Jan 5, 2011 #5
    anyone?

thanks

7. Jan 5, 2011 #6

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question doesn't completely make sense since there's no far field inside a waveguide. Near and far fields are antenna concepts. [BTW, what's an "SE calculation"?] The approach is to solve Maxwell's equations with correct boundary conditions, and you're never far from a boundary.

8. Jan 5, 2011 #7
    Thank you.

SE = shielding effectiveness calculation. I was curious to know if shielding effectiveness is calculated separately if the EM source is very close to the aperture or very far from it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?