1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular arc of charge, integration question

1. Apr 13, 2006 #1
    I have a circular arc of wire centered at the point (0,0). It has a radius of [tex]r[/tex], extends from [tex]\theta = -60[/tex] to [tex]\theta = 60[/tex] and also holds a charge [tex]q[/tex]. For the differential electric field I have the following equation:

[tex]
    dE = \frac{\lambda ds}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2}
    [/tex]
    Where [tex]ds[/tex] is the length of a differential element of the arc.

To the find the [tex]x[/tex] component of the electric field I this equation:

[tex]
    dE_{x} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} cos(\theta)} ds
    [/tex]

To integrate this I have to set [tex]ds = r d\theta[/tex] so that the above equation reads:

[tex]
    dE_{x} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} cos(\theta)} r d\theta
    [/tex]

Where does the [tex]r[/tex] come from in the statement [tex]ds = r d\theta[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is just the relation between an arclength and the subtended angle in a circle. Recall that, as long as the angle is given in radians, we have [itex] s = r \theta [/itex], right? This is true for any arc fo a circle. If you tell me that an arc of a circle subtends [itex] {\pi \over 8} [/itex]radians, for example, and that the circle has a radius of 20 cm, then the length of the arc is simply [itex] {5 \pi \over 2} [/itex] cm.

For an infinitesimal subtended angle [itex] d \theta [/itex] the relation is obviously that the infinitesima arc length is [itex] ds = r d \theta [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?