Circular arc of charge, integration question

In summary, the conversation discusses a circular arc of wire with a charge q and radius r, and the calculation of the x component of the electric field using the equation dE_{x} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} cos(\theta)} ds. The relation between arclength and subtended angle in a circle is also mentioned, with the equation ds = r d\theta being used to integrate the electric field equation. The r in this equation comes from the relation between arclength and subtended angle in a circle.
dimensionless
I have a circular arc of wire centered at the point (0,0). It has a radius of [tex]r[/tex], extends from [tex]\theta = -60[/tex] to [tex]\theta = 60[/tex] and also holds a charge [tex]q[/tex]. For the differential electric field I have the following equation:

[tex]
dE = \frac{\lambda ds}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2}
[/tex]
Where [tex]ds[/tex] is the length of a differential element of the arc.

To the find the [tex]x[/tex] component of the electric field I this equation:

[tex]
dE_{x} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} cos(\theta)} ds
[/tex]

To integrate this I have to set [tex]ds = r d\theta[/tex] so that the above equation reads:

[tex]
dE_{x} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} cos(\theta)} r d\theta
[/tex]

Where does the [tex]r[/tex] come from in the statement [tex]ds = r d\theta[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
dimensionless said:
I have a circular arc of wire centered at the point (0,0). It has a radius of [tex]r[/tex], extends from [tex]\theta = -60[/tex] to [tex]\theta = 60[/tex] and also holds a charge [tex]q[/tex]. For the differential electric field I have the following equation:

[tex]
dE = \frac{\lambda ds}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2}
[/tex]
Where [tex]ds[/tex] is the length of a differential element of the arc.

To the find the [tex]x[/tex] component of the electric field I this equation:

[tex]
dE_{x} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} cos(\theta)} ds
[/tex]

To integrate this I have to set [tex]ds = r d\theta[/tex] so that the above equation reads:

[tex]
dE_{x} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} cos(\theta)} r d\theta
[/tex]

Where does the [tex]r[/tex] come from in the statement [tex]ds = r d\theta[/tex]?

That is just the relation between an arclength and the subtended angle in a circle. Recall that, as long as the angle is given in radians, we have [itex] s = r \theta [/itex], right? This is true for any arc fo a circle. If you tell me that an arc of a circle subtends [itex] {\pi \over 8} [/itex]radians, for example, and that the circle has a radius of 20 cm, then the length of the arc is simply [itex] {5 \pi \over 2} [/itex] cm.

For an infinitesimal subtended angle [itex] d \theta [/itex] the relation is obviously that the infinitesima arc length is [itex] ds = r d \theta [/itex].

The r in the statement ds = r d\theta comes from the fact that we are dealing with a circular arc, which has a constant radius of r. This means that the length of the differential element ds is equal to r multiplied by the angular displacement d\theta. This is similar to finding the arc length of a circle, where the total circumference is equal to 2\pi r and the arc length is equal to the circumference multiplied by the ratio of the angular displacement to 2\pi. In this case, we are finding the length of a small section of the arc, so we use the same concept but with the differential element ds and the angular displacement d\theta.

1. What is a circular arc of charge?

A circular arc of charge is a curved segment of a ring or disc of charge that has a constant charge density.

2. How is the charge density of a circular arc of charge calculated?

The charge density of a circular arc of charge is calculated by dividing the total charge of the arc by its length.

3. What is the formula for the electric field of a circular arc of charge?

The electric field of a circular arc of charge can be calculated using the formula E = (kQ/2πε₀)(sinθ₂ - sinθ₁) / R, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the arc, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, θ₁ and θ₂ are the angles at the center of the arc, and R is the radius of the arc.

4. How do you calculate the electric potential of a circular arc of charge?

The electric potential of a circular arc of charge can be calculated by integrating the formula V = (kQ/2πε₀)ln(r/R), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the arc, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, r is the distance from a point on the arc to the center, and R is the radius of the arc.

5. What is the relationship between the electric field and potential of a circular arc of charge?

The electric field and potential of a circular arc of charge are related through the formula E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ represents the gradient operator. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential.