1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular membrane, PDE, separation of variables, coefficients.

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must find the oscillations of a circular membrane (drum-like).
    1)With the boundary condition that the membrane is fixed at r=a.
    2)That the membrane is free.

2. Relevant equations

The wave equation [itex]\frac{\partial ^2 u }{\partial t^2 } - c^2 \triangle u =0[/itex].
    Separation of variables, [itex]u(r, \theta , t ) = R(r)\Theta (\theta ) T(t)[/itex].
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I've basically followed wikipedia's article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrations_of_a_circular_membrane#The_general_case and reached exactly the same solution, namely [itex]u_{mn}(r, \theta, t) = \left(A\cos c\lambda_{mn} t + B\sin c\lambda_{mn} t\right)J_m\left(\lambda_{mn} r\right)(C\cos m\theta + D \sin m\theta)[/itex]. This would be the eigenfunctions. m goes from 0 to infinity (and is an integer) and n goes from 1 to infinity and is an integer too. Also [itex]\lambda _{mn}[/itex] is the n-th root of the Bessel function of the first kind of order m divided by the radius "a".
    Now the solution that satisfies the boundary condition [itex]u(a ,\theta , t )=0[/itex] should be an infinite linear combination of the eigenfunctions. The problem is that I am not sure of the following:
    [itex]u(a, \theta , t )=0 \Rightarrow \sum _{m=0}^\infty \sum _{n=1}^\infty \left(A_{mn}\cos c\lambda_{mn} t + B_{mn}\sin c\lambda_{mn} t\right)J_m\left(\lambda_{mn} a\right)(C_{mn}\cos m\theta + D_{mn} \sin m\theta)=0[/itex], [itex]\forall t[/itex] and [itex]\forall \theta[/itex].
    In other words I am not sure whether there are so many constants and if there are 2 infinite series as I believe.
    If this is right, I'd like some tip to get all those [itex]A_{mn}[/itex]'s, [itex]B_{mn}[/itex]'s, [itex]C_{mn}[/itex]'s and [itex]D_{mn}[/itex]'s. I do not see any trick to get them.

Edit: The infinite series result is pretty obvious because [itex]J_m(\lambda _{mn} a)[/itex] is the Bessel function evaluated in its zero, which gives zero. And this term appears in every term of the infinite series. Thus I do not know how to get the constants I'm looking for.
    I've no idea how to find them.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Given that [itex]\lambda _{mn}[/itex] is the n-th root of Jm divided by the radius "a", what would the value of [itex]J_m\left(\lambda_{mn} a\right)[/itex] be?

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

0 like I wrote in the edit part of my 1st post? This would imply that any value for A_{mn}, B_{mn}, etc. would work. Is this right?

5. Nov 21, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. (When did you do that? I don't think it was there when I made my post.)
    Yes, all the possible values of the constants are solutions.

6. Nov 21, 2012 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Probably 2 minutes after writing my post.
    Oh wow, I'm surprised. I guess I should not and this basically mean that the waves can have any amplitude or something like that.
    Thanks for the comment, I did not know.

7. Nov 21, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok - I must have skimmed over it in reading. Sorry about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook