1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Heat problem in a disk

1. Nov 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a question in the book to solve Heat Problem
    [tex]\frac{\partial \;u}{\partial\; t}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial\; r^2}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial\; u}{\partial\;r}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial \theta^2}[/tex]

With 0<r<1, [itex]0<\theta<2\pi[/itex], t>0. And [itex]u(1,\theta,t)=\sin(3\theta),\;u(r,\theta,0)=0[/itex]

The solution manual gave this which I don't agree:

165824[/ATTACH]"] 6rlsoj.jpg

What the solution manual did is for [itex]u_1[/itex], it has to assume [itex]\frac{\partial \;u}{\partial\; t}=0[/itex] in order using Dirichlet problem to get (1a) shown in the scanned note.

I disagree.

2. Relevant equations

I think it should use the complete solution shown in (2a), then let t=0 where
    [tex]u_{1}(r,\theta,0)=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}J_{m}(\lambda_{mn}r)[a_{mn}\cos (m\theta)+b_{mn}\sin (m\theta)][/tex]

I don't agree with the first part, you cannot assume [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=0[/itex]. Please explain to me.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2013 #2
    Anyone can help please? I just don't understand the solution manual use Dirichlet problem where [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=0[/itex]

4. Dec 2, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

It seems obvious from the boundary condition that we will have [itex]u = f(r,t)\sin 3\theta[/itex]. This gives
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} = \frac 1r \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r \frac{\partial f}{\partial r}\right) - \frac{9f}{r^2}
    [/tex]
    subject to [itex]f(1,t) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f(r,0) = 0[/itex] (and the implied condition of finiteness at [itex]r = 0[/itex]).

This immediately gives us a problem when we look for separable solutions: the condition which we would need to be zero (that at [itex]r = 1[/itex]) so we can apply Sturm-Liouville theory to get an infinite strictly increasing sequence of real eigenvalues is not, and the condition which we would need to be a non-zero function of [itex]r[/itex] (that at [itex]t = 0[/itex]) so we can work out the coefficients of the resulting eigenfunctions is not.

This prompts us to write [itex]f(r,t) = f_1(r) + f_2(r,t)[/itex] where [itex]f_1(1) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f_2(1,t) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f_2(r,0) = -f_1(r)[/itex], which is exactly the book's method!

Of course, with a little more thought we would have realized from the boundary conditions that [itex]r^3 \sin 3\theta[/itex] is the final steady-state solution, and we ought therefore to have worked with the variable [itex]v = u - r^3 \sin 3\theta[/itex] instead of [itex]u[/itex].

5. Dec 2, 2013 #4
    thanks for the reply. I don't understand, I got the separation of variable in the given condition and got the general solution show in (2a). All I have to do is to apply the boundary condition at t=0. Why change to another form or even use Sturm-Liouville theory?

I thought we do separation of variables and just apply boundary condition as shown in (2b).

6. Dec 2, 2013 #5
    I was thinking, do I treat this as just a Poisson problem with non zero boundary? That you decomposes into a Poisson problem with zero boundary PLUS a Dirichlet problem with non zero boundary?

That you just treat this as Poisson problem [itex]\nabla^2u=h(r,\theta,t)[/itex] where [tex]h(r,\theta,t)=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted