Question on Heat problem in a disk

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Heat
In summary: Separation of variable:u=X(r)Y(\theta)T(t)Then apply appropriate boundary condition on X and Y.Then \frac{\dot T}{T}=\lambda and the rest follows.Please help.In summary, the conversation discusses a heat problem with given conditions and a solution manual that uses the Dirichlet problem. However, the speaker disagrees and suggests using the complete solution instead. There is also a discussion about boundary conditions and the use of Sturm-Liouville theory. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for clarification on how to treat the problem.
yungman

Homework Statement

This is a question in the book to solve Heat Problem
[tex]\frac{\partial \;u}{\partial\; t}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial\; r^2}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial\; u}{\partial\;r}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial \theta^2}[/tex]

With 0<r<1, [itex]0<\theta<2\pi[/itex], t>0. And [itex]u(1,\theta,t)=\sin(3\theta),\;u(r,\theta,0)=0[/itex]

The solution manual gave this which I don't agree:

165824[/ATTACH]"]
6rlsoj.jpg

What the solution manual did is for [itex]u_1[/itex], it has to assume [itex]\frac{\partial \;u}{\partial\; t}=0[/itex] in order using Dirichlet problem to get (1a) shown in the scanned note.

I disagree.

Homework Equations

I think it should use the complete solution shown in (2a), then let t=0 where
[tex]u_{1}(r,\theta,0)=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}J_{m}(\lambda_{mn}r)[a_{mn}\cos (m\theta)+b_{mn}\sin (m\theta)][/tex]I don't agree with the first part, you cannot assume [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=0[/itex]. Please explain to me.

Thanks

Attachments

• 6rlsoj.jpg
    6rlsoj.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone can help please? I just don't understand the solution manual use Dirichlet problem where [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=0[/itex]

It seems obvious from the boundary condition that we will have [itex]u = f(r,t)\sin 3\theta[/itex]. This gives
[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial t} = \frac 1r \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r \frac{\partial f}{\partial r}\right) - \frac{9f}{r^2}
[/tex]
subject to [itex]f(1,t) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f(r,0) = 0[/itex] (and the implied condition of finiteness at [itex]r = 0[/itex]).

This immediately gives us a problem when we look for separable solutions: the condition which we would need to be zero (that at [itex]r = 1[/itex]) so we can apply Sturm-Liouville theory to get an infinite strictly increasing sequence of real eigenvalues is not, and the condition which we would need to be a non-zero function of [itex]r[/itex] (that at [itex]t = 0[/itex]) so we can work out the coefficients of the resulting eigenfunctions is not.

This prompts us to write [itex]f(r,t) = f_1(r) + f_2(r,t)[/itex] where [itex]f_1(1) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f_2(1,t) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f_2(r,0) = -f_1(r)[/itex], which is exactly the book's method!

Of course, with a little more thought we would have realized from the boundary conditions that [itex]r^3 \sin 3\theta[/itex] is the final steady-state solution, and we ought therefore to have worked with the variable [itex]v = u - r^3 \sin 3\theta[/itex] instead of [itex]u[/itex].

thanks for the reply. I don't understand, I got the separation of variable in the given condition and got the general solution show in (2a). All I have to do is to apply the boundary condition at t=0. Why change to another form or even use Sturm-Liouville theory?

I thought we do separation of variables and just apply boundary condition as shown in (2b).

I was thinking, do I treat this as just a Poisson problem with non zero boundary? That you decomposes into a Poisson problem with zero boundary PLUS a Dirichlet problem with non zero boundary?

That you just treat this as Poisson problem [itex]\nabla^2u=h(r,\theta,t)[/itex] where [tex]h(r,\theta,t)=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}[/tex].

1. What is the cause of heat problem in a disk?

The main cause of heat problem in a disk is friction. When a disk rotates, its surface rubs against the surfaces of other objects, causing friction and generating heat. This heat can build up and cause the disk to overheat and potentially malfunction.

2. How does heat affect the performance of a disk?

Excessive heat can cause a disk to expand, which can lead to warping or misalignment of the disk's components. This can result in slower performance, errors, and even data loss. In extreme cases, the heat can cause the disk to fail completely.

3. What are some common signs of a heat problem in a disk?

Some common signs of a heat problem in a disk include slow performance, frequent errors or crashes, strange noises coming from the disk, and physical damage such as warping or discoloration. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to address the issue immediately to prevent further damage.

4. How can I prevent heat problems in a disk?

To prevent heat problems in a disk, it is important to ensure proper ventilation and cooling for the disk. This can be achieved by keeping the disk in a well-ventilated area, avoiding placing it near heat sources, and using fans or other cooling methods. It is also important to regularly clean the disk to prevent dust buildup, which can contribute to heat buildup.

5. What should I do if I suspect a heat problem in my disk?

If you suspect a heat problem in your disk, it is important to stop using the disk immediately and allow it to cool down. You can also check for any physical signs of damage and try cleaning the disk to remove any dust or debris. If the problem persists, it is best to seek professional help to avoid further damage to the disk.