1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I don't agree with the solution manual of a mixed poisson problem

1. May 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve mixed poisson's problem on disk given

[itex]\nabla^2 U= r sin \theta \hbox{ for } 0 <r< \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\nabla^2 U= 0 \hbox{ for } \frac{1}{2} < r < 1[/itex]

With given boundary condition [itex]U(1,\theta)=0[/itex]

2. Answer from the solution manual

[tex] U(r,\theta) = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\phi_{mn}(r,\theta) [/tex]

[tex] \phi_{mn}(r,\theta)= J_m(\lambda_{mn}r)[A_{mn}cos (m\theta) + B_{mn}sin (m \theta)] [/tex]

Helmholtz [tex]\Rightarrow \nabla^2 \phi_{mn}(r,\theta)= -\lambda_{mn}\phi_{mn}(r,\theta) [/tex]

[tex] \nabla^2 \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\phi_{mn}(r,\theta) = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}-\lambda_{mn}J_m(\lambda_{mn}r)[A_{mn}cos (m\theta) + B_{mn}sin (m\theta)] = r sin(\theta) [/tex]

Using Fourier series expansion:

[tex]\Rightarrow \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} -\alpha^2_{1n} B_{1n} sin(\theta) J_1(\alpha_{1n}) = r sin(\theta) [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow -sin(\theta) \int_0^{\frac{1}{2}} \alpha^2_{1n} B_{1n} J^2_{1n}(\alpha_{1n}r)rdr = \int_0^{\frac{1}{2}}sin(\theta) r^2 J_1(\alpha_{1n}r)dr [/tex]

[tex]-\alpha^2_{1n} B_{1n} = \frac{J_2(\frac{\alpha_{1n}}{2}}{2\alpha_{1n}J^2_2(\alpha_{1n})}[/tex]

3. My questions:

Why is this treated as only a poisson problem only for 0<r<1/2 and ignor 1/2<r<1.

I thought this is a two parts problem where it is a poisson problem for 0<r<1/2 and Laplace problem for 1/2<r<1.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2
    Anyone please?

I know this is very similar to fourier series expansion like:

f(x) = h(x) for 0<x<1
    f(x) = 0 for 1<x<2

0<x<2

Where the fourier series expansion only integrate from x=0 to x=1 only and totally ignor the portion of x=1 to x=2.

I never see the prove, this only show up in the work problems. Can anyone show me the prove of this.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook