Circular Motion and Banked Curves

In summary, the question asks for the maximum speed at which a 1500 kg car can take a curve with a radius of 60.0 m and a banking angle of 11.0 degrees without sliding. The equations relevant to this problem are w f 2 = w i2* t + 1.2 * alpha * t and theta f - theta i = w i t + t/2 alpha t 2. After drawing a free body diagram, it is determined that the resultant normal force is zero and the friction force is equal to μR. By setting the resultant of these two forces equal to zero, the maximum speed can be calculated.
erin.grae

Homework Statement

A concrete highway curve of radius 60.0 m is banked at a 11.0 degree angle. What is the maximum speed with which a 1500 kg rubber-tired car can take this curve without sliding? (Take the static coefficient of friction of rubber on concrete to be 1.0.)

Homework Equations

w f 2 = w i2* t + 1.2 * alpha * t
theta f - theta i = w i t + t/2 alpha t 2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I drew a picture of the problem and I tried to find all the forces acting on the car but I really don't think I've got them all. I know there's the usual gravity, normal force, and centripetal acceleration but I'm not sure if the equations I referenced above are even really relevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your FBD, centripetal force is not to be on there, centripetal force is a resultant force.

The resultant normal force (perpendicular to the plane) is zero. You should now be able to find the normal reaction.

Friction=μR.

If the car slides down the plane, then friction acts up the plane. What do the resultant of these two force give?

Related to Circular Motion and Banked Curves

1. What is circular motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object in a circular path around a fixed point. It is different from linear motion because in linear motion, the object moves in a straight line, while in circular motion, the object moves in a curved path.

2. What is the centripetal force and how does it relate to circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's velocity and prevent it from flying off in a straight line.

3. How does the speed of an object in circular motion affect the centripetal force?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the speed of the object. This means that as the speed of the object increases, the centripetal force required to keep it in circular motion also increases.

4. What is a banked curve and how does it affect circular motion?

A banked curve is a curved surface on a road or track that is higher on one side than the other. This allows vehicles to make turns without slipping or skidding. The banked curve provides a component of the normal force that acts as the centripetal force, allowing the vehicle to maintain its circular motion without the need for friction.

5. How are the concepts of circular motion and banked curves applied in real-life situations?

Circular motion and banked curves are used in many real-life situations, such as in amusement park rides, car racing tracks, and even in sports like ice skating and skiing. Understanding these concepts is also important in engineering and design, as they can help create safer and more efficient structures and systems.