Circular Motion and Tension in a string

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a ball attached horizontally by a string to a central point. The person has attempted to solve the problem but is unsure of their answer and is seeking clarification and help. They have also mentioned making a mistake in their calculations. The expert suggests using conservation of energy to determine the velocity as a function of angle and points out a mistake in the person's equations.
Sdarcy
Okay, I have given this a go but its been 2 years since I've done any dynamics so I think I've done something stupid...

A ball is attached horizontally by a string of length L to a central point C. The mass, m, of the ball is 4.775kg. It is released from rest and allowed to swing downwards. What is the tension in the string (in N) when the ball has fallen through 45 degrees.

This is what I've done so far:

[tex]\sum[/tex]F[tex]_{}n[/tex] = ma[tex]_{}n[/tex]
T- m sin[tex]\alpha[/tex] = m/g (v[tex]^{}2[/tex]/L)
T = m(sin[tex]\alpha[/tex] + v[tex]^{}2[/tex]/gL)

[tex]\sum[/tex]F[tex]_{}t[/tex] = ma[tex]_{}t[/tex]

m cos[tex]\alpha[/tex] = m/g a[tex]_{}t[/tex]
a[tex]_{}t[/tex] = g cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]

vdv = a[tex]_{}[/tex]t ds
ds = L d[tex]\alpha[/tex]
vdv = a[tex]_{}[/tex]t L [tex]\alpha[/tex]

vdv = g L cos[tex]\alpha[/tex] d[tex]\alpha[/tex]

then integrate that equation

v = [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]2gl(sin[tex]\alpha[/tex] - sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]0)

T = m(3 sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] - 2 sin [tex]\alpha[/tex]0)
= 4.775[3sin(45) - 2sin(0)]
= 10.13N

Which is apparently very, very wrong.

Not sure what I've stuffed up, but help would REALLY be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you have over complicated this question somewhat. Start by writing down the net horizontal and vertical forces acting on the ball.

Lets pretend I'm stupid (which I am) and that I don't know anything about dynamics (which I currently don't), can you explain more clearly what you mean? :D

Thanks

Sdarcy said:
Lets pretend I'm stupid (which I am) and that I don't know anything about dynamics (which I currently don't), can you explain more clearly what you mean? :D

Thanks
Whilst you seem to heave already put a lot of work in I don't mind doing a bit of work for you ... just this once :wink:.

I'll admit to making a mistake in my previous post, I should have said radial and tangential components rather that horizontal and vertical. So for the radial components:

[tex]\sum F_r = T - mg\sin\theta[/tex]

As you correctly have. Now since the ball is following a circular path and applying Newton's second law we obtain:

[tex]T - mg\sin\theta = m\frac{v^2}{L}[/tex]

Now from here, rather than attempting to solve a differential equation, it would be much more straight forward to apply conservation of energy to determine the velocity as a function of theta. Do you follow?

On a related point, you should note the mistake in going from the first line to the second line in your OP:
Sdarcy said:
T- m sin[itex]\alpha[/itex] = m/g (v[itex]^2[/itex] /L)
The first term on the LHS should also be divided by a factor of g.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path around a central point. This can occur when a force is applied perpendicular to the direction of motion, causing the object to constantly change direction.

2. How is tension in a string related to circular motion?

Tension in a string is a force that is exerted on an object attached to the string. In circular motion, the tension in the string is what keeps the object moving in a circular path by providing the necessary centripetal force.

3. What factors affect the tension in a string during circular motion?

The tension in a string during circular motion is affected by the speed of the object, the mass of the object, and the radius of the circular path. A higher speed or larger mass will require a higher tension in the string to maintain circular motion. A larger radius will result in a lower tension in the string.

4. Can tension in a string ever be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, tension in a string can be greater than the weight of an object during circular motion. This is because the tension in the string must not only support the weight of the object, but also provide the necessary centripetal force to keep it moving in a circular path.

5. How can tension in a string be calculated during circular motion?

The tension in a string during circular motion can be calculated using the formula T = (mv^2)/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula takes into account the factors that affect the tension in the string.