Circular motion graph of a ball

In summary: You would expect the stone to end up at the bottom of the cliff since it has been thrown with a velocity vector in the x direction. For the sphere, since it is in a circular path and the centripetal force is constant, it will follow the same trajectory as the stone. The sphere will hit the floor at x=.169.
bk12321
Sorry for posting 3 problems, but I have 25 due and I am just not grasping the material...

[[[[[[ #1 ]]]]]]

Homework Statement

A 100 g ball on a 60 cm long string is swung in a vertical circle about a point 200 cm above the floor. The tension in the string when the ball is at the very bottom of the circle is 4.0 N. A very sharp knife is suddenly inserted, as shown in the picture, to cut the string directly below the point of support. Where does the ball hit the floor? (Measure from the point where the string was cut and consider right to be the positive direction.)

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6631/p751fl2.gif

Homework Equations

F=(mv^2)/r

and the constant accel kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f=mv^2/r
=sqrt((netforce*r)/m)

v=1.54919

then i use y(final)=y(initial)+1/2at^2
0=(.2-.06) + 1/2(-9.81)t^2
t^2=-.14/-4.9
t=.169

plugging in for x

xfinal=xi+vt
xfinal=0+(1.549m/s)(0.169s)

not getting the right answer tho...

i suck at physics

[[[[[[ #2 ]]]]]]

Homework Statement

A conical pendulum is formed by attaching a 400 g ball to a 1.0 m long string, then allowing the mass to move in a horizontal circle of radius 14 cm. The picture shows that the string traces out the surface of a cone, hence the name.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8415/p739hd6.gif

Homework Equations

f=mv^2/r

I found the tension force F = 3.924N, which was part a

anyways its right, but I need the second part which says:(b) What is the ball's angular velocity, in rpm?

I don't know how do do that, I used w=sqrt(f/mr) and then multiplied by 60sec/1min and then divided by 1revolution/2pi radians, but the answer is wrong.

[[[[[[ #3 ]]]]]]

Homework Statement

Two wires are tied to the 320g sphere pictured. The sphere revolves in a horizontal circle at a constant speed of 6 m/s. What is the tension in each of the wires?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/bk12321/p7-61.gif

Homework Equations

f=mv^2/r

t=netforce, if gravity doesn't come into play

since they are both acting on the ball, 2t=the net force on the x axis

You just have to find the tension force in each wire. I solved it but I'm getting the wrong answer :(. This one seems to be the easy one but I just can't get the right answer so I am dumb.

net force=mv^2/r
=(.32kg)(6m/s)^2/.866m
=13.3N
from there I took cos(theta) and multiplied it and did some other stuff, and then divided the total tension force by 2 since the tensions should be equal, but the answer is wrong... so some help with the part after finding the net force would be awesome

thanks a ton

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wish I could get physics like I do calc II...

no help?

For the first problem you need to consider the tension, and the gravity...

net force = mv^2/r

what is the net force (using gravity and tension)...

also for the kinematics part... 200cm = 2m. 60cm = 0.6m.

for the second problem... w = v/r, where r is the radius of the circular path... get v using centripetal motion... then you can get w...

For the third,

I think you need to consider gravity... suppose T1 is the force in the top string. T2 is the bottom.

sum of the vertical forces = 0

plug in the appropriate forces above

sum of horizontal forces = mv^2/r

2 equations... 2 unknowns. you can get both the tensions.

For your first question,

Since tension is given, and you know the gravitational force at the bottom and you know that these difference is equal to the centripetal force. The solution to this equation gives you the velocity in the x direction.

With the velocity in the x direction and an accelaration due to gravity, can you find the position of the ball??

The scenario after the string is cut is similar to throwing a stone on a cliff in x direction.

1. What is circular motion and how is it represented on a graph?

Circular motion is the movement of an object in a circular path around a central point. On a graph, this is represented by a continuous curve that repeats itself, creating a circular shape.

2. What does the shape of a circular motion graph tell us?

The shape of a circular motion graph tells us about the velocity and acceleration of the object. The steepness of the curve represents the object's speed, while the change in the steepness of the curve represents the object's acceleration.

3. How can we determine the direction of motion from a circular motion graph?

The direction of motion in a circular motion graph can be determined by looking at the slope of the curve. If the slope is positive, the object is moving in a clockwise direction, and if the slope is negative, the object is moving in a counterclockwise direction.

4. What is the significance of the horizontal line in a circular motion graph?

The horizontal line in a circular motion graph represents the speed of the object. If the line is closer to the x-axis, the object is moving at a slower speed, and if the line is farther from the x-axis, the object is moving at a faster speed.

5. How can we calculate the period and frequency of an object's circular motion from its graph?

The period of an object's circular motion can be calculated by finding the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution or cycle. The frequency can then be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the period (frequency = 1/period).