Circular Motion of a car making a turn

In summary: You're saying that the instantaneous acceleration is different from the average acceleration?In summary, the car has a constant angular speed, so it has a tangential acceleration at B. It also needs to find centripetal acceleration, which requires velocity. The instantaneous acceleration is different from the average acceleration.
finlejb
A car initially traveling eastward turns north by traveling in a circular path at uniform speed as in the figure below. The length of the arc ABC is 237 m, and the car completes the turn in 36.8 s.

What I've got so far is that I should find the tangential acceleration at B, and then I can use sine and cosine to find the part of the acceleration in each direction, but I can't find the tangential acceleration... any tips?

Thanks.

Attachments

• CircMot.JPG
    CircMot.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 611
Physics news on Phys.org
If it's traveling at a constant angular speed, how would it have a tangential acceleration??
And what's being asked?

Oh yeah, it's a three part problem... apparently I forgot to put which part I need help with.

First of all, what is the acceleration when the car is at B located at an angle of 36.8? Express your answer in terms of the unit vectors i and j.

But ok, I can see how I don't need tangential acceleration since it's constant velocity. But I still need to find centripetal acceleration, which requires velocity... so how would I find velocity at B?

Yup. And just to remind, acceleration is inwards, perpendicuar to v, with the magnitued [tex]mv^2/r[/tex]

Right, but I don't have mass or velocity...

Whoops, sorry, I've written the force rather than acceleration. Really sorry! It's [tex]v^2/r[/tex]. Why don't you have speed? You were given length of the path and the time for travel. You can get it out of it.

I was given time from A to C. This is just measuring from A to B. It's not just half the time given, though, since it's not a 50 degree angle.

The speed is said to be constant in magnitude, you can simply divide the total path and time. I can't see the picture since it's still waiting for approval, so I don't know of a 50 degree, but I guess you should be able to exract velocity out of that picture you've attached.

Oh it does say the speed is uniform, so I guess I can find the average speed and that would be the speed at B... I'll try that and see if it's right.

Actually, in that case, speaking magnitude-wise, average equals to instantaneus. Since rhe angle between path and velocity is always same, we can indeed speak magnitude-wise!

Now it says to determine its average acceleration during the 36.8-s interval. The j part of it was the same, but it's telling me the i part of the average acceleration isn't the same, and I can't understand that.

You can draw the velocity vector for t=0 and t=36.8, subract them, and divide it to 36.8. And if it's a complete circle, I find it to be 0.
Did I get you wrong?

Related to Circular Motion of a car making a turn

1. What causes a car to turn?

When a car is making a turn, it is experiencing circular motion. This is due to the centripetal force, which is provided by the friction between the tires and the road. This force allows the car to change its direction and remain on the curved path.

2. How does the speed of a car affect its turning radius?

The speed of a car affects its turning radius in a direct relationship. This means that the faster the car is moving, the larger the turning radius will be. This is because a higher speed requires a greater centripetal force, which can only be achieved with a larger radius.

3. Why do cars lean inward when making sharp turns?

When a car is making a sharp turn, the centripetal force is acting towards the center of the turn. This force causes the car to lean inward, towards the center of the turn. This is known as centripetal acceleration and it allows the car to maintain its circular motion without slipping off the road.

4. Can a car make a turn without friction?

No, a car cannot make a turn without friction. Friction is necessary for the tires to grip the road and provide the centripetal force needed for circular motion. Without friction, the car would continue on a straight path, resulting in a loss of control and potentially causing an accident.

5. How does the mass of a car affect its turning ability?

The mass of a car does not directly affect its turning ability. However, a heavier car will require a greater centripetal force to turn at the same speed as a lighter car. This means that a heavier car will have a larger turning radius than a lighter car at the same speed.