What Is the Required Coefficient of Static Friction for a Car on a Banked Curve?

In summary, a forum user is seeking help with a physics problem involving a car traveling on a banked road. They ask for someone to explain the problem, provide formulas, or give an answer. Another user suggests deriving an expression for the angle of banking and considers the possible directions of frictional force. They also welcome the new user to the forum.
cdawg201
I am new to the forum and was hoping if someone could explain to me how to do this problem, give me some formulas, or even possibly give me an answer. :) It is from my Giancoli Fifth Edition High School Physics book.

If a curve with a radius of 80m is perfectly banked for a car traveling 70km/hr, what must be the coefficient of static friction for the car not to skid when traveling 90km/hr?

Any/all help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to pf cdawg201!

Consider an inclined section of a road with banking angle [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Can you find an expression for the maximum speed that the car can have so that it moves in a circle of fixed radius without slipping and relate it to the angle of banking? Next, if the actual speed is different from this "correct" speed, then what are possible directions of frictional force? Will it aid motion down the incline or oppose it? Draw freebody diagrams to convince yourself.

Hope that helps...

Cheers
Vivek

How about just doing it the hard way eh ?
Try deriving an expression for the angle of banking. while doing so try to take your problem into it. Btw I'm new too...

pseudoNewtonian said:
How about just doing it the hard way eh ?
Try deriving an expression for the angle of banking. while doing so try to take your problem into it. Btw I'm new too...

Hello pseudoNewtonian (welcome to PF)

When I said "find" I meant derive. You're not supposed to know all the formulae by heart (thought it helps sometimes to know the value of pi correct to 30 decimal places...esp in a party or something :smile:)

Enjoy physics...

Cheers

1. What is circular motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path. In this type of motion, the object's velocity is constantly changing direction, but its speed remains constant. Linear motion, on the other hand, refers to the movement of an object along a straight line. In this type of motion, the object's velocity and speed remain constant.

2. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for constantly changing the object's direction, thus keeping it in circular motion.

3. How do you calculate the centripetal force in a circular motion problem?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the difference between tangential and radial acceleration in circular motion?

Tangential acceleration refers to the change in the speed of an object moving in circular motion, while radial acceleration refers to the change in the direction of the object's velocity. Tangential acceleration is always perpendicular to the object's velocity, while radial acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle.

5. How does the period of a circular motion change with different radii?

The period of a circular motion is the time it takes for an object to complete one full revolution around the circle. It is directly proportional to the radius of the circle, meaning that as the radius increases, the period also increases. This is because a larger radius requires the object to travel a longer distance, resulting in a longer period of time.