Mastering Circular Motion: Tips for Solving Conservation of Energy Problems

In summary: But where is the right angle triangle?ah, sometimes you have to draw the right-angled triangle yourself! :smile:draw a horizontal line from B, meeting OA at D …then OBD is a right-angled trianglethe angle at O is θhyp (hypotenuse) is the long side, OB, = aadj (adjacent) is the side next to θ, OD (the height of O above B)so cosθ = adj/hyp = OD/a
steejk
Not really sure where to start with this. I know it has something to do with conservation of energy but not really sure how to go about it.

Attachments

• k2.png
    k2.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given that the bead moves along a circle. What is the resultant force acting on it? Draw the free-body diagram.

ehild

Start by drawing a free-body diagram on the bead, labeling all forces, and writing out Newton's second law for the radial direction. It should include "v" somewhere, which you can find using the conservation of energy.

EDIT: oops, edit conflict with ehild

hi steejk! :wink:

start by writing the conservation of energy equation to find v as a function of θ …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi steejk! :wink:

start by writing the conservation of energy equation to find v as a function of θ …

what do you get? :smile:

Ok so at bottom TE = KE = 0.5mu

And at point B TE = 0.5mv² + mgh = 0.5mu²

How can I work out h?

steejk said:
Ok so at bottom TE = KE = 0.5mu^2

And at point B TE = 0.5mu^2 - mgh

Use different symbols for the two velocities; the "u" in your second equation is different from the "u" in your first equation.

How can I work out h?

You can relate it to r and theta using some trigonometry.

ideasrule said:
Use different symbols for the two velocities; the "u" in your second equation is different from the "u" in your first equation.

Sorry :smile:

ideasrule said:
You can relate it to r and theta using some trigonometry.

Hmm. I know its probably something obvious but I'm not getting it. :redface:

What would acosθ equal?

steejk said:
What would acosθ equal?

cos = adj/hyp

sin = opp/hyp

tan= opp/adj :wink:

steejk said:
Hmm. I know its probably something obvious but I'm not getting it. :redface:

What would acosθ equal?

Believe me: your life would be much easier with a drawing. From it, you would see at once how the initial speed is related with the one at angle theta, and how to get it. And you could find out the normal force from a free body diagram at the position labelled with theta.

ehild

ehild said:
Believe me: your life would be much easier with a drawing. From it, you would see at once how the initial speed is related with the one at angle theta, and how to get it. And you could find out the normal force from a free body diagram at the position labelled with theta.

ehild

Okay so from my diagram does N = (mu^2)/a + mgcosθ?

tiny-tim said:
cos = adj/hyp

sin = opp/hyp

tan= opp/adj :wink:

But where is the right angle triangle?

ah, sometimes you have to draw the right-angled triangle yourself! :smile:

draw a horizontal line from B, meeting OA at D …

then OBD is a right-angled triangle

the angle at O is θ

hyp (hypotenuse) is the long side, OB, = a

adj (adjacent) is the side next to θ, OD (the height of O above B)

so cosθ = adj/hyp = OD/a :wink:

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point known as the center of the circle. This type of motion is characterized by the object's changing direction but constant speed.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a force acting on an object towards the center of the circle, known as the centripetal force. This force is necessary to change the direction of the object's velocity and keep it moving along the circular path.

3. What is the difference between circular motion and rotational motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, while rotational motion involves the spinning or turning of an object around a fixed axis. Circular motion can be considered a type of rotational motion, but not all rotational motion is circular.

4. How is circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Newtons's first law states that an object will remain in a state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by a net force. In the case of circular motion, the object is constantly changing direction due to the centripetal force acting on it, which is an example of Newton's first law in action.

5. Can an object in circular motion have a constant speed?

Yes, an object in circular motion can have a constant speed as long as the centripetal force remains constant. This means that the object is moving at a constant speed along the circular path, but its velocity (direction of motion) is constantly changing.