Circular Motion-When Will They Meet?

• Thread starter gaimon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circular
In summary, two people start at the same place and walk around a circular lake in opposite directions. One has an angular speed of 1.66E-3 rad/s, while the other has an angular speed of 3.24E-3 rad/s. To find out how long it will take for them to meet, we can set the sum of their distances equal to the circumference of the lake, 2π. However, the solution 1.282 seconds is incorrect. This is because the angular speeds given are in radians per second, so we need to convert them to revolutions per second by dividing by 2π. The correct solution is 1.282/2π = 0.204 seconds. Additionally,
gaimon
Here I am again...
Two people start at the same place and walk around a circular lake in opposite directions. One has an angular speed of 1.66E-3 rad/s, while the other has an angular speed of 3.24E-3 rad/s. How long will it be before they meet?

What I have done so far is to set 3.24t + 1.66t=2Pi

so t(4.9)=2Pi therefor t=1.282 s

or so I thought...problem is that it's wrong.
So then what am I doing wrong?
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
gaimon said:
Here I am again...
Two people start at the same place and walk around a circular lake in opposite directions. One has an angular speed of 1.66E-3 rad/s, while the other has an angular speed of 3.24E-3 rad/s. How long will it be before they meet?

What I have done so far is to set 3.24t + 1.66t=2Pi

so t(4.9)=2Pi therefor t=1.282 s

or so I thought...problem is that it's wrong.
So then what am I doing wrong?
Any help is appreciated.

Btw, where did the 'E-3' parts dissapear?

i thought that that was just notation
what does it really mean?

gaimon said:
i thought that that was just notation
what does it really mean?

1.66E-3 = [tex]1.66\cdot 10^{-3}[/tex]. It is usually written in text form as 1.66*10^-3, rather than 1.66E-3.

i can't believe that was all I had to do
been struggling for hours
Thank you so much!

What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path. This path can be either a perfect circle or an ellipse. In circular motion, the object's speed remains constant, but its direction continuously changes, resulting in a curved path.

How is circular motion related to "When Will They Meet?"

In the context of "When Will They Meet?", circular motion refers to two objects moving in circular paths that intersect at some point. The question is asking for the specific time or location when these two objects will meet along their respective circular paths.

What factors affect the time and location of two objects meeting in circular motion?

The time and location of two objects meeting in circular motion are primarily affected by their initial positions and velocities, as well as the radii of their circular paths. Other factors such as external forces and friction can also play a role.

How can the equations of circular motion be used to determine the meeting time and location?

The equations of circular motion, such as centripetal force and angular velocity, can be used to calculate the acceleration and position of an object in circular motion. By setting the equations of two objects equal to each other, one can solve for the time and location when they will meet.

Are there real-world applications for circular motion and "When Will They Meet?"

Yes, circular motion and the concept of "When Will They Meet?" have many real-world applications. For example, it can be used in sports to predict where a ball will land after being thrown or hit, or in astronomy to determine when two planets or satellites will align. It is also important in engineering for designing rotating machinery and calculating the forces acting on them.