1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion

1. Feb 1, 2014 #1
    I have seen the derivation of the centripetal acceleration formula a=v^2/r by saying r= rcosθi+isinθj=rcosωti+rsinωtj and differentiating twice. Since ω is constant we get a=-ω[itex]^{2}[/itex]r.

I've started looking at non-uniform circular motion where there is also the tangential acceleration vector component. I'm told that the component of acceleration directed towards the center of the circle has magnitude v^2/r, but I don't believe the original proof works because we assumed ω is constant, and now it isn't. Can this type of proof be made to work still?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure. Then you write
    [tex]\vec{r}(t)=r \cos [\theta(t)] \vec{i} + r \sin[\theta(t)] \vec{j}[/tex]
    and differentiate twice (assuming [itex]r=\text{const}[/itex], because it's supposed to be a circular motion). Then you get
    [tex]\vec{v}(t)=\dot{\vec{r}}(t) = -r \dot{\theta} \sin \theta \vec{i} + r \dot{\theta} \cos \theta \vec{j}=r \dot{\theta} \hat{\theta},[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{a}(t)=\dot{\vec{r}}(t)=-r \ddot{\theta} \sin \theta \vec{i} - r \dot{\theta}^2 \cos \theta \vec{i} + r \ddot{\theta} \cos \theta \vec{j} - r \dot{\theta}^2 \sin \theta \vec{j} =r \ddot{\theta} \hat{\theta}-r \dot{\theta}^2 \hat{r}.[/tex]
    Here I have used the orthonormal basis of the polar coordinates,
    [tex]\hat{r}=\cos \theta \vec{i} + \sin \theta \vec{j}, \quad \hat{\theta}=-\sin \theta \vec{i}+\cos \theta \vec{j}.[/tex]
    It's clear that [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] points perpendicularly outward from the circle (normal of the curve) and [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] along the circle (tangent of the curve).

That shows that the tangential acceleration is
    [tex]a_{\theta} = \hat{\theta} \cdot \vec{a}=r \ddot \theta[/tex]
    and the normal acceleration is indeed the momentaneous centripetal acceleration as in uniform circlar motion,
    [tex]a_{r}=\hat{r} \cdot \vec{a} = -r \dot{\theta}^2.[/tex]
    It's easy to calculate that also then
    [tex]a_{r}=-\frac{\vec{v}^2}{r}.[/tex]

4. Feb 1, 2014 #3
    In uniform circular motion ω is constant which means centripetal acceleration ac2R is constant .

In case of non uniform circular motion centripetal acceleration is still given by ac2R ,but as you have rightly said ω is changing ,which means centripetal acceleration is also varying (magnitude changing with time).

In addition there is also tangential acceleration aT = dv/dt .

The net acceleration of the object is given by the vector sum of the two i.e ac and aT .

Since they are at right angles the magnitude is given by aTotal = √(ac2 + aT2)

5. Feb 1, 2014 #4
    Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook