Circumnavigating the Universe and 3D 'Branes

In summary, a 'brane is a theoretical construct in string theory that describes our universe as a membrane-like object floating in a higher dimensional space. It is used to explain the existence of multiple universes and the possibility of extra dimensions beyond the three we experience. Some scientists believe that 'branes could be the key to understanding the mysteries of the universe and the origins of the Big Bang.
gizander
I read (or heard or saw) somewhere long ago that if you traveled as far as you could go in the Universe you'd return to the exact same point at which you started. If our U is indeed a 'brane, and the previous statement is true, doesn't that whole circuit of travel ending up back at "point A" describe the type of journey one would make traversing the length of a Mobius strip? Thus, are 'branes really 2 dimensions of the 11 theorized or are they 3 dimensional Mobius strips where, if a 'brane were a 2D square with corners A, B, C and D, clockwise from top left, and corners A & C and B & D were joined (and thus the sides AB and CD joined)?
BTW, this also begs the question, "What about travel ACROSS the strip?" Does one "fall off the edge or walk onto a parallel strip? Or is travel (read: Motion) actually only possible in only one dimension in both the positive and negative directions (i.e. going "forwards" and "backwards" on the strip)?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's nothing to prove whether the universe is finite or infinite and if it's finite whether it's bounded or unbounded (your example is finite, unbounded). It's all speculation.

gizander said:
I read (or heard or saw) somewhere long ago that if you traveled as far as you could go in the Universe you'd return to the exact same point at which you started. If our U is indeed a 'brane, and the previous statement is true, doesn't that whole circuit of travel ending up back at "point A" describe the type of journey one would make traversing the length of a Mobius strip? Thus, are 'branes really 2 dimensions of the 11 theorized or are they 3 dimensional Mobius strips where, if a 'brane were a 2D square with corners A, B, C and D, clockwise from top left, and corners A & C and B & D were joined (and thus the sides AB and CD joined)?
BTW, this also begs the question, "What about travel ACROSS the strip?" Does one "fall off the edge or walk onto a parallel strip? Or is travel (read: Motion) actually only possible in only one dimension in both the positive and negative directions (i.e. going "forwards" and "backwards" on the strip)?

I read that too, but that idea is obsolete. That's nice, because I never believed it :-).

Observation of dark matter and accelerating expansion of the universe have changed everything. The "standard model" is now of a flat, infinite universe. Second choice is a near-infinite universe.

PatrickPowers said:
I read that too, but that idea is obsolete. That's nice, because I never believed it :-).

Observation of dark matter and accelerating expansion of the universe have changed everything. The "standard model" is now of a flat, infinite universe.

No, that is not correct. As I said above, there is no proof one way or the other.

Second choice is a near-infinite universe.

Nonsense. There is no such thing as "NEAR infinite". Something is either infinite or it is not. Very, very big is not any closer to infinite than very very small.

You are correct that the consensus is that the U is very nearly flat and MAY be infinite, but MAY be is not "IS" as you have stated.

gizander said:
I read (or heard or saw) somewhere long ago that if you traveled as far as you could go in the Universe you'd return to the exact same point at which you started...
That's a figurative way of describing a universe that is spatially a 3D hypersphere---analogous to a 2D spherical shell. I don't think cosmologists ever suggested that circumnavigation was a practical possibility. You'd have to imagine traveling much faster than light. But it is good "thought experiment"way of describing the experience of living in the 3D analog of a balloon surface world.
That's one possibility which is taken very seriously by cosmologists---the positive curvature near flatness case.
PatrickPowers said:
Actually the idea is not obsolete.
Patrick said:
Observation of dark matter and accelerating expansion of the universe have changed everything. The "standard model" is now of a flat, infinite universe. Second choice is a near-infinite universe.

The idea is far from obsolete and it is certainly compatible with dark matter and accelerating expansion! They fit nicely into the finite universe picture. The 5-year
WMAP report, Komatsu et al, calculated parameters for both the finite spatially closed standard model and the infinite. The issue of which fits best has not yet been decided.

phinds said:
...As I said above, there is no proof one way or the other
I agree with Phinds about that. The issue remains to be resolved, hopefully by more precise measurement of the overall curvature. I am not sure that it can be resolved in the foreseeable future, but one can hope.
Phinds said:
... There is no such thing as "NEAR infinite". Something is either infinite or it is not. Very, very big is not any closer to infinite than very very small.

You are correct that the consensus is that the U is very nearly flat and MAY be infinite, but MAY be is not "IS" as you have stated.

Again I agree with Phinds. "Nearly flat" does not mean "nearly infinite" (that has no meaning). Nearly flat means that the largescale curvature measured so far is very close to zero (the 95% confidence interval includes zero).
This could mean either spatially finite or infinite.
If there is a consensus it would, I guess, be that both cases are possible. Neither has been ruled out yet.

Last edited:
I just saw a documentary entitled:

BBC Horizon: WHat Happened Before the Big Bang?
(For those who haven't seen it, the link is at the bottom of this page:
http://captured-beats.blogspot.com/2011/12/what-happened-before-big-bang.html)

The documentary mentions a theory about 'Branes'. What exactly is a 'Brane'? As you can tell I am not a physicist, but I would like a simple of an answer as possible, I'm too old to study Physics :(...

Schneider,

A great documentary to watch about Membranes ('Branes) and all things String and M Theory is "The Elegant Universe" It's a Nova production so it should be available for viewing or download from their site or try PBS.org
It explains a lot in terms non-physicists like us can understand. It's a 3 part film so be sure to watch all three as 'branes are discussed in the 3rd part if memory serves...
Pretty mind-blowing stuff (and that's without the math ;)--it's one of the things I saw/read that got me interested in Theoretical Physics and Quantum Mechanics. (I'm now taking courses using the OCW program at MIT)...And, as the saying goes, "No one's ever survived long enough to be too old to learn Physics." ;)
We think, therefore we are; thus, when we stop thinking we are no more...
Cheers!

Related to Circumnavigating the Universe and 3D 'Branes

What is the concept of circumnavigating the universe?

The concept of circumnavigating the universe refers to the idea of traveling around the entire universe, which is estimated to be at least 93 billion light years in diameter. This would involve crossing countless galaxies, stars, and other celestial bodies to complete a full loop back to the starting point.

How is this concept related to 3D 'branes'?

The concept of 3D 'branes' is a theoretical idea in the field of string theory, which suggests that our universe is just one 'brane' or membrane in a higher dimensional space. These 'branes' are believed to be able to vibrate and interact with each other, potentially allowing for travel between them and the possibility of circumnavigating the universe.

Is circumnavigating the universe possible?

At this time, circumnavigating the universe is not possible with our current technology and understanding of physics. The distances involved are incredibly vast and the speed of light is currently considered to be the fastest possible speed for travel. However, the concept remains a topic of theoretical exploration and could potentially become possible in the future with advancements in technology or a better understanding of the universe.

What would be the challenges of circumnavigating the universe?

Aside from the immense distances, some of the challenges of circumnavigating the universe would include the need for advanced propulsion systems capable of traveling at the speed of light, protection from cosmic radiation and other hazards in space, and the ability to sustain life for such a long journey.

What knowledge can be gained from attempting to circumnavigate the universe?

The pursuit of circumnavigating the universe can lead to a deeper understanding of our universe, its origins, and the laws of physics. Additionally, the technology and advancements needed for such a journey could have practical applications and benefits for humanity. It can also inspire curiosity and a sense of wonder about the vastness and complexity of our universe.