Circus Clown Velocity question

• Thread starter a.k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, a 75-kg clown at the circus escapes from a tower by jumping from a platform located 35 m above a safety net held by six other clowns. Taking into account an air resistance force of 110 N, the clown's velocity just before hitting the net can be calculated using the formula v_f^2 = v_0^2 + 2aΔy, which gives a final velocity of approximately 24.15 m/s. However, it is important to consider the direction of acceleration and pay attention to signs when solving this problem.
a.k

Homework Statement

A 75-kg clown at the circus escapes from a tower by jumping from a platform located 35 m above a safety net held by six other clowns. If air resistance exerts a 110 N force on the clown as he falls, what is his velocity just before he hits the net?

Homework Equations

F=mg-air resistance
a=f/m

The Attempt at a Solution

75kg-9.8 m/s^2-110N
735-110
F=625 N

625/75
a=8.33 m/s^2

I am drawing a blank as to what velocity formula I can use in the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this one:
$$v_{f}^{2} = v_{0}^{2} + 2a\Delta y$$
Make sure to watch your signs on ##a## and ##\Delta y## though.

2(8.33)35m
16.66*35
=583.1 m/s^2

a.k said:
2(8.33)35m
16.66*35
=583.1 m/s^2
That's really fast, I think you forgot to take the square root :)

Also your units are for acceleration, not velocity.

a.k said:
625/75
a=8.33 m/s^2

I am drawing a blank as to what velocity formula I can use in the problem.

Hey there!
Just wanted to point this out in case you have that picky teacher or professor who devotes their life to signs - in regards to your acceleration, do keep in mind which way the clown is accelerating(you're saying he accelerates upwards with your value).

Other than that, Post #4 is your way to solving this one.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is circus clown velocity?

Circus clown velocity is a term used to describe the speed at which a circus clown moves during their performance. It is often used as a measure of the clown's comedic timing and physical agility.

2. How is circus clown velocity measured?

Circus clown velocity is not an officially recognized measurement and there is no standardized way to measure it. However, it is often estimated based on the clown's movements and overall performance.

3. Can circus clown velocity be improved?

Yes, circus clown velocity can be improved through practice and training. Clowns can work on their physical skills and comedic timing to increase their speed and agility during performances.

4. Does circus clown velocity impact the quality of a clown's performance?

While circus clown velocity can add to the entertainment value of a performance, it is just one aspect of a clown's overall performance. A skilled clown can still be entertaining and engaging even if they are not particularly fast or agile.

5. Is circus clown velocity a necessary skill for all clowns?

No, not all clowns need to have high levels of circus clown velocity. Some clowns may focus more on other aspects of their performance, such as storytelling or juggling, rather than physical speed and agility.