Circus Performer Falling into a Safety Net

In summary: I think you're referring to an inelastic collision where the sum of kinetic energies before and after collision is conserved. This would be an elastic collision where the rebounce is not as high.
kd001
Can this be explained in terms of inelastic collisions? This is what I think:

The collision is perfectly inelastic because the person and the net move together with the same velocity. This means that the initial kinetic energy of the system (and therefore the kinetic energy of the person) is reduced. Basically the safety net acts by transferring kinetic energy from the person to the net.

Do you think this is a valid argument?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
kd001 said:
Can this be explained in terms of inelastic collisions? This is what I think:

Not really. Without gravity a Performer hitting the net would be shoot back again. That would be pretty elastic. On Earth gravity forces him to stay in the Net, just like a bouncing ball stays on the ground after some jumps. This doesn't make the ball/ground collision inelastic.

Usually when considering elastic vs. inelastic collisions you don't have any forces from outside acting on the bodies.

Trapeze nets are semi-elastic. Like an inefficient trampolene. The peformers can sometimes bounce back up quite aways, but this may be adjustable via tension, or it's a different, more elastic material used for those acts where the peformers bounce back up again. Note that the competition trampolines are also net like (Austrilian or Ozzie bed), unlike the canvas strap ones we're used to seeing, or the outdoor black mesh ones.

A.T. said:
Not really. Without gravity a Performer hitting the net would be shoot back again. That would be pretty elastic. On Earth gravity forces him to stay in the Net, just like a bouncing ball stays on the ground after some jumps. This doesn't make the ball/ground collision inelastic.

Actually, it does! If the collision were perfectly elastic, the performer (or the bouncing ball) would jump up exactly as high as the height it originally fell from (conservation of energy). Only because there is dissipation (heat), the rebounce is not as high. But that's exactly what it means, an inelastic collision: that there is dissipation.

vanesch said:
Actually, it does! If the collision were perfectly elastic,
Yeah, I meant: "This doesn't make the ball/ground collision perfectly inelastic." which is what the OP was asking about.

But if you consdider the whole bouncing less & less process as one collision, you could call it perfectly inelastic.

A.T. said:
Yeah, I meant: "This doesn't make the ball/ground collision perfectly inelastic."

:biggrin: I think you're digging yourself in a hole.

I don't know what would be a perfectly inelastic collision, honestly...

An elastic collision is a collision where the sum of kinetic energies before and after collision is conserved. An inelastic collision is one which is not elastic, that is, where this sum is not conserved (most of the time, the sum is less after than before though not always).

So a perfectly inelastic collision is ... (?)

What causes a circus performer to fall into a safety net?

There are several factors that can cause a circus performer to fall into a safety net, such as loss of balance, equipment malfunction, or human error. It is important for performers to constantly train and practice their acts to minimize the risk of falling.

How does a safety net protect circus performers?

A safety net is designed to absorb the impact of a fall and distribute the force throughout the net, reducing the risk of injury. It is made of strong, durable material and is often supported by a metal frame to provide stability.

What is the process for inspecting a safety net?

Safety nets should be inspected regularly by trained professionals to ensure they are in good condition and can effectively protect performers. This includes checking for tears, holes, and any signs of wear and tear. Any issues should be addressed immediately to maintain the safety of the performers.

How high above the ground is a safety net typically placed?

The height of a safety net can vary depending on the type of performance and the skill level of the performers. However, it is typically placed at a height that allows enough space for the performers to safely execute their act, while also providing enough distance for the net to effectively break their fall.

What safety precautions should be taken when using a safety net?

In addition to regular inspections, it is important for performers to wear proper safety gear, such as helmets and harnesses, when using a safety net. The area surrounding the net should also be clear of any obstacles or hazards to prevent additional injuries in case of a fall. Performers should also be properly trained on how to use the net and emergency procedures in case of an accident.