Understanding the Differences Between Integer and Fractional Spin Values

• Thread starter jldibble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin
In summary, the spin of a object is a statement about its symmetry. A full rotation of a object results in a spin of 1. Half a rotation results in a spin of 2, and so on. integer spins are different than fractional spin values, and fractional spins are different than each other.
jldibble
I have a basic understanding of what particle spin is, but I'm not clear on how how integer spins are different than fractional spin values.

I also need help understanding how fractional spins are different from each other (difference between spin 1/2 and spin 3/2) and how integer spins are different (-1,0,1,2).

Please be as specific as you can and try not to say that they're just different values of intrinsic angular momentum...I know that but I don't know the specific physical differences.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of saying "I have a basic understanding..." it is more helpful to say what your understanding is. It may be that what we think is basic is not what you think is basic or that your understanding does not match ours very well. For instance - the distinction between integer and fractional spin quantum numbers is usually part of a "basic understanding" of spin.

Conceptually the spin is a statement about symmetry.
The common analogy involves rotating a picture. If you have to turn it a full circle to make it look the same, then it has spin 1. If turning it a half circle works, then that is spin 2... and so on.

Some things need to be rotates through a full circle twice to make it look the same.
That is spin 1/2.

That's a bit odd to think about it but I have seen a demo of this involving a book.
Take one whose cover is normally spin 1. But you grip it by the spine to hold it flat - horizontal - with the cover pick uppermost.

Without letting go of the book - rotate it one full circle.
OK - the cover looks the same but the system includes your arm and the system is not the same.
Now keep rotating it - same way, don't let go, keep the book flat (hint: you'll have to duck under your arm to avoid twisting it off at the shoulder) ... once you've gone a whole extra turn, everything is back to the start. That's spin 1/2.

But if you want specific - you'll have to be specific yourself.

Take one whose cover is normally spin 1. But you grip it by the spine to hold it flat - horizontal - with the cover pick uppermost.
Without letting go of the book - rotate it one full circle.
OK - the cover looks the same but the system includes your arm and the system is not the same.
Now keep rotating it - same way, don't let go, keep the book flat (hint: you'll have to duck under your arm to avoid twisting it off at the shoulder) ... once you've gone a whole extra turn, everything is back to the start. That's spin 1/2.
Simon, you may be on to something. I tried this with my copy of Messiah Vol I, and it turned into Messiah Vol II.

Bill_K said:
Simon, you may be on to something. I tried this with my copy of Messiah Vol I, and it turned into Messiah Vol II.
:rofl:

Thanks for the explanations. They were exactly what I was looking for. I apologize for being vague in my original post.

@Bill_K: that's a common side effect - it's caused by nudging the volume control while turning. In your case, Messiah I and II are in a superposition to start with...

@jldibble: no worries then :)

What is spin?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, such as electrons and protons, that is related to their angular momentum and magnetic moment. It is a quantum mechanical concept that cannot be visualized in classical terms.

How is spin measured?

Spin is measured in units of angular momentum, specifically in multiples of Planck's constant (h-bar). For example, an electron has a spin of 1/2 h-bar, while a proton has a spin of 1 h-bar.

Can spin be changed or manipulated?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles and cannot be changed or manipulated in the same way that other properties, such as position or velocity, can be. However, external magnetic fields can affect the orientation of a particle's spin.

What is the significance of spin?

Spin is an important concept in quantum mechanics and is essential in understanding the behavior of particles. It also plays a crucial role in many technologies, such as MRI machines and spintronics devices.

Are there different types of spin?

Yes, there are two types of spin: fermionic spin and bosonic spin. Fermions, such as electrons, have half-integer spin, while bosons, such as photons, have integer spin. This distinction has important implications in the behavior of particles in quantum systems.