Understanding Electric Fields and Voltage: How Do They Relate?

• Thread starter RobertArvanitis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terminology
In summary, the conversation discusses how to explain and differentiate between the terms electric field, electric potential, electric potential energy, voltage, and difference in voltage, as well as the challenge of understanding these concepts due to their casual or insufficiently specific usage in various sources. The advice given is to read extensively and maintain a sense of wonder and curiosity while learning about these concepts.
RobertArvanitis

Homework Statement

How to explain, and distinguish among (or build up from initial definitions) the terms electric field, electric potential, electric potential energy, voltage, difference in voltage.
The usage in various sources is casual or insufficiently specific.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post an attempt (as per forum rules).

RobertArvanitis said:

Homework Statement

How to explain, and distinguish among (or build up from initial definitions) the terms electric field, electric potential, electric potential energy, voltage, difference in voltage.
The usage in various sources is casual or insufficiently specific.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A new learner asks things like "I can manipulate equations and substitute values to solve, but what does what does voltage MEAN?!"
What do I reply? How to aid visualization / conceptualization? Not quite an analog to gravity, as there are attractive and repulsive forces in E&M.

Hello Rob, welcome to PF :smile:

Yes, it can be bewildering. And on top of that you have the sloppy everyday use of the same terms, often incorrect.

Your post doesn't give us a clue as to where you are or where this question comes from: there's no context. I'd be worried if you were close to wrapping up your PhD thesis in theoretical physics, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were a philosophy student (these seemingly simple questions go very deep very quickly). In fact, a lot of physics goes like "we haven't got the foggiest idea, but we can describe it predicitvely and to incredible accuracy".

My advice: read a lot and gradually you'll get the idea.

And: don't lose this beautiful sense of wonder and the curiosity to know more about everything. It's what drives science.

RobertArvanitis said:
A new learner asks things like "I can manipulate equations and substitute values to solve, but what does what does voltage MEAN?!"
What do I reply? How to aid visualization / conceptualization? Not quite an analog to gravity, as there are attractive and repulsive forces in E&M.
That's not what I took the original post to be about. I could answer that reasonably by discussing the relationships between the concepts, but now you seem to be more concerned with analogies and visualisation. Which is it?

What is the purpose of clarifying terminology?

Clarifying terminology is important in scientific research as it ensures that all parties involved have a shared understanding of the specific terms and concepts being used. This helps to avoid confusion and promotes clear communication and accurate interpretation of data.

How do scientists clarify terminology?

Scientists can clarify terminology by defining key terms and concepts at the beginning of a study or research project, and consistently using these definitions throughout their work. They can also refer to established definitions and terminology in their field of study.

Why is it important to use precise terminology in scientific research?

Precise terminology is crucial in scientific research because it allows for accurate and consistent communication among scientists. This is especially important when sharing results and findings with other researchers or when attempting to replicate experiments.

What are some potential consequences of not clarifying terminology?

If terminology is not clarified, it can lead to misunderstandings, misinterpretations, and inaccuracies in scientific research. This can ultimately hinder the progress and validity of scientific findings.

How can scientists ensure that their terminology is clear and understood?

Scientists can ensure their terminology is clear and understood by using commonly accepted definitions and concepts, providing clear definitions of any specialized terminology, and carefully explaining any new or unique terminology used in their research.