1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Class suggestions for someone new to Physics

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    Some background

I am graduating in two weeks with my bachelors. I will have a B.S. in mathematics with three minors: chemistry, biology, and computer science. I am going to start grad school for computer science in the spring and will try and continue my mathematical education by taking topology and functional analysis

I feel I have gotten a well rounded scientific education with math, chem, bio, and CS, but I am completely missing physics. I once took a semester long general physics I course at a community college and didn't get much out of it.

I never thought I'd like physics but I've recently become interested. I would like to take some courses but now that I'm done with undergrad I feel I have no room for this kind of thing. I don't think I can take physics at grad school and fit it into my masters under the requirements of my upcoming degree

What would you recommend for those of you familiar with physics? Self study? Sitting in on a course? If so, what courses would be good? I really want to know more about quantum mechanics, and I'd love to tie some of my advanced math studies into this

Thanks and any suggestions will be helpful

BTW I realize I all ready posted this in another section but I realize it was in the wrong place so I'll go ahead and delete it from there..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2
    What are you looking to do with your CS degree? What are your goals in surveying the sciences rather than concentrating on some area of research or specialization?

In general for physics there are introductory calculus based sequences that are typically required for upper level courses, although it's possible that a math major could exempt you if there's something specific you're interested in.

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    no this purely on my own enjoyment. So the physics isn't too serious for me, its just a curiousity thing.

i want to go work for the NSA when I'm done with masters, I'm interesrted in cryptography

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook