Can Classic Greek Problems Be Solved with Basic Geometry?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's presentation topic on the impossibility of solving certain geometric problems using Euclidean tools. They are seeking advice on how to explain the proofs without relying on field theory, and the conversation leads to discussing different methods of trisecting an angle and the use of rulers in geometric constructions.
gravenewworld
I have to give a presentation for geometry, and I chose to do my presentation on the impossiblity of squaring the circle, doubling the volume of a cube, and trisection of an arbitrary angle with Euclidean tools. The problem is though, that I am certain the majority of the class has never been exposed to any field theory at all. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can possibly explain the proofs of why these problems are impossible without having to go to field theory? I mean I will go to field theory if I have to, but then again, no one would understand unless there is a way to easily explain field theory without using heavy duty concepts, like using polynomials etc.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
I have to give a presentation for geometry, and I chose to do my presentation on the impossiblity of squaring the circle, doubling the volume of a cube, and trisection of an arbitrary angle with Euclidean tools. The problem is though, that I am certain the majority of the class has never been exposed to any field theory at all. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can possibly explain the proofs of why these problems are impossible without having to go to field theory? I mean I will go to field theory if I have to, but then again, no one would understand unless there is a way to easily explain field theory without using heavy duty concepts, like using polynomials etc.

it looks like that hist of math site has done all your research for you. just look up 1/2 dozen of the references & you're 90% of the way there. all you've got to do is write it up!

Thanks a lot for your help. LOL while doing research on these problems, I found this interesting journal article. The legislature in Indiana actually tried to pass legislation in order to change the value of pi first to 4 and then to 3.2 so that the squaring the circle problem could be solved. The legislation actually made it through the House unanimously, but the Senate postponed voting on the bill indefinitely (it can still be voted on today).

I pointed this out before, but Archemedies did trisect the angle by using a paper strip.http://www.cut-the-knot.org/pythagoras/archi.shtml

The method is called "illicit," in the article, as if mathematicians were more busy inventing restrictions than solving problems. Quote from above: "It's thus specifically forbidden to use a ruler for the sake of measurement," WHY? Every student has one today.

This also leads to the fact, that in my day, some students believed that they would astonish the mathematical world by trisecting the angle and spent a great deal of time on that. Actually nobody in my high school class understood the difference between a straight edge and a ruler anyway, which was never gone into.

Last edited:
There is also a theory of those constructions which allow a marked straight edge (ruler).

What are the Classic Greek Problems?

The Classic Greek Problems are a collection of mathematical problems that were first described by ancient Greek mathematicians. These problems have been studied and solved by many mathematicians throughout history and continue to be a source of inspiration for modern mathematical research.

Who were the ancient Greek mathematicians that first described the Classic Greek Problems?

The ancient Greek mathematicians who first described the Classic Greek Problems include Pythagoras, Euclid, Archimedes, and Diophantus. These mathematicians made significant contributions to the field of mathematics and their work continues to be studied and built upon today.

What are some examples of the Classic Greek Problems?

Some examples of the Classic Greek Problems include the famous problems of squaring the circle, duplicating the cube, and trisecting an angle. Other problems include the construction of regular polygons and the solution of quadratic equations.

Why are the Classic Greek Problems important?

The Classic Greek Problems are important because they demonstrate the ingenuity and mathematical prowess of the ancient Greeks. They also serve as a foundation for many modern mathematical concepts and techniques. Additionally, solving these problems requires creative and critical thinking, making them valuable tools for developing problem-solving skills.

Are the Classic Greek Problems still relevant today?

Yes, the Classic Greek Problems are still relevant today as they continue to inspire and challenge mathematicians to find new solutions and insights. They also serve as a reminder of the rich history of mathematics and the important contributions made by the ancient Greeks.