(Classical) electromagnetism on the web

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of understanding electromagnetism and finding resources for it. The person is a university student who has trouble with the math in their current textbook, "Field and Wave Electromagnetics" by David K. Cheng. They ask for recommendations for other resources and receive suggestions such as "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by D. Griffith and an online textbook from MIT. They also mention a friend using Griffith's book in a different class and plan to use it as a supplement. Another resource mentioned is lecture notes by Fitzpatrick from UT Austin. The person expresses gratitude for the suggestions and feels confident with the variety of resources available to them.
Bugge
Hello. I am currently reading on electromagnetism in university. However, I feel that I sometimes get lost in the the math in an otherwise excellent book (Field and Wave Electromagnetics by David K. Cheng), so I would like to ask, if somebody knows a good, steady resource for understanding the different subjects in electromagnetism for mathematically lesser beings like me, since I have a hard time understanding many of the subjects intuitively. Khan Academy has been excellent for mathematics, but I feel there is something missing when it comes to electromagnetism.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Introduction to Electrodynamics" by D. Griffith is commonly used in the introductory level of electromagnetism.

Likes M Saad and Bugge
Hello, and thank you both for the suggestions. I will definitely keep the online book in mind. I am not going to buy another book, though (Class reference books are enough to empty most student pockets, including mine!), but I know the book by D. Griffith from other students in my university, who uses it in a different electromagnetism class. At least the cover. It is very similar but with a dark background. A close friend is taking this course, so I will definitely skim his and see if it will be good as a supplemental book to Chang's book!

Thank you very much! What I have looked through so far seems very well explained. Now I also know which classes to take later this year, haha. I think with all of these supplementary suggestions, it can't go too wrong.

1. What is classical electromagnetism?

Classical electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and the electromagnetic field. It is based on the laws and principles developed by scientists such as Maxwell, Coulomb, and Faraday in the 19th century.

2. What are the fundamental principles of classical electromagnetism?

The fundamental principles of classical electromagnetism are Coulomb's law, which describes the force between two electrically charged particles, and Gauss's law, which relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. Other important principles include Faraday's law of induction, Ampere's law, and Maxwell's equations, which together describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

3. How does classical electromagnetism relate to modern physics?

Classical electromagnetism is considered a classical theory, meaning it is based on macroscopic observations and does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics. However, it is still used extensively in modern physics to understand and describe phenomena such as light, radio waves, and electricity.

4. What are some real-world applications of classical electromagnetism?

Classical electromagnetism has numerous real-world applications, including telecommunications, electronics, power generation and distribution, and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies such as computers, satellites, and electric motors.

5. How does classical electromagnetism contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Classical electromagnetism helps us understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are responsible for various natural phenomena such as light, heat, and radiation. It is also essential in understanding the structure and behavior of atoms and molecules, which are the building blocks of matter in the universe.