Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Classical) electromagnetism on the web

1. Sep 12, 2015 #1
    Hello. I am currently reading on electromagnetism in university. However, I feel that I sometimes get lost in the the math in an otherwise excellent book (Field and Wave Electromagnetics by David K. Cheng), so I would like to ask, if somebody knows a good, steady resource for understanding the different subjects in electromagnetism for mathematically lesser beings like me, since I have a hard time understanding many of the subjects intuitively. Khan Academy has been excellent for mathematics, but I feel there is something missing when it comes to electromagnetism.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Introduction to Electrodynamics" by D. Griffith is commonly used in the introductory level of electromagnetism.

4. Sep 12, 2015 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

5. Sep 15, 2015 #4
    Hello, and thank you both for the suggestions. I will definitely keep the online book in mind. I am not gonna buy another book, though (Class reference books are enough to empty most student pockets, including mine!), but I know the book by D. Griffith from other students in my university, who uses it in a different electromagnetism class. At least the cover. It is very similar but with a dark background. A close friend is taking this course, so I will definitely skim his and see if it will be good as a supplemental book to Chang's book!

6. Sep 15, 2015 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

7. Sep 15, 2015 #6
    Thank you very much! What I have looked through so far seems very well explained. Now I also know which classes to take later this year, haha. I think with all of these supplementary suggestions, it can't go too wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook