Classical Mechanics - Drag Force

In summary, the drag force experienced by a block sliding on a slippery horizontal surface is F = -cv3/2, where c is a positive constant. Using the integral of the drag force, the velocity and position of the block can be determined as functions of time. It can also be shown that there is no limit to the distance the block can travel. However, there may be some errors in the calculations and further assistance may be needed.
zeromaxxx

Homework Statement

Suppose a block sliding on a slippery horizontal surface experiences a drag force F=-cv3/2 where c is a positive constant. At time t=0, the block is at position x=0 with initial positive velocity. Find the velocity and position as a function of time. Derive an expression for the limiting distance the block travels, or show that there is no limit.

Homework Equations

F=-cv3/2

The Attempt at a Solution

For velocity:
I took the integral of the drag force

mdv = -cv3/2 dt

int [dv/v3/2]= -c/m * int[dt]

-2/v1/2 + 2/v01/2 = -c/m * t

Isolating for v:

v= [v01/2/ 1+ (cv01/2t/2m)]2

Can someone kindly check the arithmetic if I got it right.

As for position, I have trouble dealing with the integral of the velocity function. If someone can help me regarding this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Int [dv/v2/3] is not v1/2 but v1/3. See the error?

Sourabh N said:
Int [dv/v2/3] is not v1/2 but v1/3. See the error?

Yes, sorry there's a typo in the original question I put up, the drag force is F = -cv3/2 and not 2/3. Sorry for this, I hope you can go through it again. Thanks!

Okay. After you put v = dx/dt, the integral looks like Int [dx] = Int [dt/(a + b*t)2] where a and b are some trivial constants, right? That t integral is easy to do, you know how?

I am sleepy (read sloppy) right now, so I'd rather not fix those constants for you.

Hmm, it made more sense the way you put it though I still cannot determine the integral of t.

A substitution a + b*t = w (some random variable) brings it in the form Int [dw/w2] with some constants I have suppressed. Does it look familiar now?

1. What is drag force in classical mechanics?

Drag force is a type of force that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the resistance of the fluid to the object's motion and is directed opposite to the object's velocity.

2. How is drag force calculated?

The amount of drag force experienced by an object can be calculated using the equation Fd= 1/2ρv2CdA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. What factors affect the amount of drag force on an object?

The amount of drag force on an object depends on its velocity, the density and viscosity of the fluid, the object's shape and size, and the roughness of its surface. Additionally, the angle of the object's motion relative to the fluid and the presence of other objects in the fluid can also affect drag force.

4. How does drag force affect an object's motion?

Drag force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, so it can slow down the object's speed or even cause it to change direction. This can be important in understanding how objects, such as airplanes or cars, move through fluids and how to design them to minimize drag force.

5. How is drag force related to terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach as it falls through a fluid due to the balance between the drag force and the force of gravity. As an object picks up speed, the drag force increases until it is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.