Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics

1. Jun 23, 2003 #1

My academic year draws to an end. I was hoping to prepare some of my 2nd year courses. Especially classical mechanics.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a site that would allow me to get a good intoduction into the Lagrange/Hamilton formalism.

I already found a graduate course on the subject, but find it a bit out of my league. With no knowledge of partial differential equations it is rather hard to follow, especially if all these things are considered "trivial" :wink:

I have a good grasp of Linear Algebra (up to hermitian an symmetric operators), multivariable calculus and Newtonian mechanics, to give you an idea of the level I'm looking for.

-Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 23, 2003 #3

I think this document

is a great place to start. Also - During the summer I plan on building the mechanics section to my web site

Feel free to e-mail me on anything at peter.brown46@verizon.net. It'll help guide me in deciding what to include and at what level etc. We can help each other in this respect.

5. Jun 24, 2003 #4
    Thank yoy both.

Tom, the one you found is exactly the one I already have. It is a bit out of my league, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Pete, what you have seems just fine. I'll keep in tocuh.
  6. Jun 24, 2003 #5
    I stand corrected, the Harvard one is EXCELLENT! Exactly what I was looking for.

Their whole server is packed with courses and textbooks like this...
    The mathematics section does seem a little less developped than the physics one, but there are some interesting things there.

The trouble is, that just using their stuff on your site will probably violate half a dozen copyright regulations

I'll keep looking for more, and if anything else comes up I'll post it up on this thread.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?