Classical Mechanics

• Thread starter Kalimaa23
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Greetings,

My academic year draws to an end. I was hoping to prepare some of my 2nd year courses. Especially classical mechanics.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a site that would allow me to get a good intoduction into the Lagrange/Hamilton formalism.

I already found a graduate course on the subject, but find it a bit out of my league. With no knowledge of partial differential equations it is rather hard to follow, especially if all these things are considered "trivial" :wink:

I have a good grasp of Linear Algebra (up to hermitian an symmetric operators), multivariable calculus and Newtonian mechanics, to give you an idea of the level I'm looking for.

-Thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

pmb
Originally posted by Dimitri Terryn
Greetings,

My academic year draws to an end. I was hoping to prepare some of my 2nd year courses. Especially classical mechanics.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a site that would allow me to get a good intoduction into the Lagrange/Hamilton formalism.

I already found a graduate course on the subject, but find it a bit out of my league. With no knowledge of partial differential equations it is rather hard to follow, especially if all these things are considered "trivial" :wink:

I have a good grasp of Linear Algebra (up to hermitian an symmetric operators), multivariable calculus and Newtonian mechanics, to give you an idea of the level I'm looking for.

-Thanks in advance
I think this document

www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~phys16/handouts/textbook/ch5.pdf

is a great place to start. Also - During the summer I plan on building the mechanics section to my web site

www.geocities.com/physics_world/

Feel free to e-mail me on anything at peter.brown46@verizon.net. It'll help guide me in deciding what to include and at what level etc. We can help each other in this respect.

Pete

Thank yoy both.

Tom, the one you found is exactly the one I already have. It is a bit out of my league, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Pete, what you have seems just fine. I'll keep in tocuh.

I stand corrected, the Harvard one is EXCELLENT! Exactly what I was looking for.

Their whole server is packed with courses and textbooks like this...
The mathematics section does seem a little less developped than the physics one, but there are some interesting things there.

The trouble is, that just using their stuff on your site will probably violate half a dozen copyright regulations

I'll keep looking for more, and if anything else comes up I'll post it up on this thread.