Classical Physics: Is Research Still Ongoing?

In summary, many equations that can be built don't have an analytical solution. These can be built completely from classical mechanics, but only numerical solutions exist. This means that there may be some problems which do not have a solution in a closed form, but this most certainly does not mean that we do not understand the underlying laws governing these phenomena.
MHD93
I'm a secondary school student as yet, wondering and want to know whether scientists still do researches on Classical Physics, or they have just known everything that they wanted to know about the Newtonian Physics

In other words, are there still problems in Classical Physics the solutions of which are still unknown?

Thanks for your interaction

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe classical chaos is still the frontier.

Mohammad_93 said:
I'm a secondary school student as yet, wondering and want to know whether scientists still do researches on Classical Physics, or they have just known everything that they wanted to know about the Newtonian Physics

In other words, are there still problems in Classical Physics the solutions of which are still unknown?

Thanks for your interaction

There are lots of unanswered questions in classical mechanics, for example on how, and why, streamlines separates from a curved wall, questions concerning turbulence and much else besides.

Those two examples are from fluid mechanics, in solid mechanics, heat transport in aggregate compounds is, I believe, still rather intractable.

So, yes, there is a LOT of research going on in classical mechanics, and always will, since classical mechanics is, and forever will remain, the optimal approximation of physics in the "human-scale" world.

arildno said:
... in solid mechanics, heat transport in aggregate compounds is, I believe, still rather intractable...

How is this a subject of interest in Classical Mechanics ?

Dickfore said:
How is this a subject of interest in Classical Mechanics ?
Hmm..you are right.
It belongs to classical physics, my bad..

Thanks people for your replies.

The many-body problem?

Many equations that can be built don't have an analytical solution. These can be built completely from classical mechanics, but only numerical solutions exist.

So in general, if there are still analytical solutions that are left to be found for some equations, I suspect they would be of great interest to classical mechanics. I would think that this is mostly in the hands of mathematicians though.

The field of Classical Mechanics is complete and closed from a physical point of view. This means that it has a well defined body of phenomena it addresses and all the laws governing these phenomena are known.

Applying these laws to a particular situation and trying to find an analytical solution, strictly speaking, is a task for Mathematical Physics. Thus, there may be some problems which do not have a solution in a closed form, but this most certainly does not mean that we do not understand the underlying laws governing these phenomena.

The topic of interest of classical mechanics are systems with finite number of degrees of freedom. The case of systems with (physically) infinite number of degrees of freedom belongs to the field of Continuum Physics. However, the very concept of a continuum is an idealization that is bound to fail at some point.

There are two limitations of Classical Mechanics: when the speeds of the particles become comparable to the speed of light and when the classical action attains values comparable to the Planck constant.

Mohammad_93 said:

Tons: off the top of my head- glass transition, fracture, turbulence, wetting, systems far from equilibrium.

There is no satisfactory theory for any of these.

Dickfore said:
There are two limitations of Classical Mechanics: when the speeds of the particles become comparable to the speed of light and when the classical action attains values comparable to the Planck constant.

If special relativity does not fall under the umbrella of classical mechanics, then surely general relativity is non-classical as well.

1. What is classical physics?

Classical physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a macroscopic scale, using principles and laws such as Newton's laws of motion and thermodynamics.

2. Is classical physics still relevant in modern research?

Yes, classical physics is still actively studied and used in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and material sciences. Many modern technologies, such as airplanes and satellites, are based on classical physics principles.

3. What are some current areas of research in classical physics?

Some current areas of research in classical physics include fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics. Scientists are also exploring new applications of classical physics principles in areas such as renewable energy and quantum computing.

4. How has classical physics evolved over time?

Classical physics has evolved significantly over time through the contributions of many scientists, including Isaac Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, and Albert Einstein. New theories and discoveries have expanded our understanding of classical physics and its applications in the modern world.

5. What are the challenges faced by researchers in classical physics?

One of the biggest challenges faced by researchers in classical physics is the need to reconcile it with the laws of quantum mechanics. Additionally, the study of complex systems and phenomena, such as turbulence and chaos, presents ongoing challenges in classical physics research.