Classical Physics: Unsolved Problems and Solutions

In summary, there are still many unsolved problems in classical physics, particularly in areas such as turbulence. While some aspects of these problems can be studied with classical equations, factors such as quantum mechanics and mathematics can complicate the solutions. Additionally, there are many open questions and ongoing research in areas such as wetting, the glass transition, and nonequilibrium thermodynamics.
ricky33
We know that unsolved problems still exist in classical physics and scientists still make reasearches , can the scientists solve those problems without using other physics branches like quantum mechanics .. ? Can they solve these problems only with a full understanding of classical mechanics ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect it depends on the problem. Do you have a specific problem you were referring to?

phyzguy said:
I suspect it depends on the problem. Do you have a specific problem you were referring to?
The problem is not with me it's with scientists they have many unsolved probkems in classical physics like turbulence

What do you think the issue is in "solving" the problem of turbulence?

It depends on how you look at it. I think may aspects of turbulence can be studied with the classical equations of fluid mechanics, the Navier-Stokes equations. However, things like viscosity which are described in the equations depend on the interaction between the atoms of the fluid, which are inherently quantum mechanical. So if I study turbulence by running simulations of the Navier-Stokes equations, is this "purely classical"?

I once heard a talk by Moser (best known for the Kolmogorov-Arnold-Moser theorem) on theorems about how many particles are necessary that classical particles separate to infinity in finite time. The proofs only involved classical mechanics, yet there were still many open questions.

Chestermiller said:
As an engineer you won't believe it, but mathematicians are still struggling to show that the Navier-Stokes equations have solutions at all.

Chestermiller said:
Search about the turbulence problem its unsolved till now

DrDu said:
I once heard a talk by Moser (best known for the Kolmogorov-Arnold-Moser theorem) on theorems about how many particles are necessary that classical particles separate to infinity in finite time. The proofs only involved classical mechanics, yet there were still many open questions.
So we have unsolved problems that can be solved with only classical mechanics ? Do you know any ?

ricky33 said:
So we have unsolved problems that can be solved with only classical mechanics ? Do you know any ?

I don't know what you mean by *only* classical mechanics- presumably you mean something like "macroscopic, room-temperature, slow processes"? Just be aware that many of these problems also occur in microscopic, low-temperature, rapidly changing systems as well.

There's a bunch besides those already mentioned: wetting (contact line motion), the glass transition (dynamic heterogeneity), and nonequilibrium thermodynamics (for example, the dynamics of soft matter) complete my favorite 5.

1. What are some of the major unsolved problems in classical physics?

Some of the major unsolved problems in classical physics include the origin of mass, the nature of dark matter and dark energy, the unification of gravity with the other fundamental forces, and the resolution of the wave-particle duality paradox.

2. How do scientists approach solving these problems?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, experimental data, and mathematical equations to investigate and attempt to solve these problems. This often involves collaboration and ongoing research in various fields of physics.

3. Are there any promising solutions to these problems?

Yes, there are several ongoing theories and potential solutions to these problems. For example, the Higgs mechanism offers a potential explanation for the origin of mass, and string theory aims to unify gravity with the other fundamental forces.

4. Why are these problems important to the field of physics?

These problems represent some of the most fundamental mysteries of our universe and have the potential to greatly advance our understanding of the laws of nature. Additionally, solving these problems could have significant practical applications in fields such as technology and engineering.

5. Is it possible that some of these problems may never be solved?

It is possible that some of these problems may never be fully solved. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may provide new insights and potential solutions that could lead to a better understanding of these phenomena.