Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical optics: Lambda-quarter plates

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    Hi

Say I have a magnetic field point in some well-known direction, and I have linearly polarized light incident in that direction. I want to convert my π-polarization to σ-polarization, so I find my lambda-quarter plate.

However, how do I know whether it produce σ+ or σ-? Do they come with a manual, or do people calibrate them by themselves? I'm not sure how I would do this.

Best,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm confused by your question- first, the magnetic field will not point along the polarization direction, the polarization is defined by the electric field. Second, to rotate linearly polarized light (if π- and σ- refer to p- and s-polarized) you would use a 1/2 wave plate, not a 1/4-wave plate.

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

lambda/4 wave plates should have some indication where the fast and the slow axes are. The orientation relative to the (linear) polarization of incoming light will determine how the polarization afterwards looks like.

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4
    Hi

What I meant was tbat B points along some direction I call z. My laser propagates along z too, and it is linearly polarized perpendicular to z. I want to convert this linear polarization to σ+ (wrt. to z).

Hi

Thanks for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook