1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical particle distribution in a harmonic potential question

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1

I have a question regarding how to find the probability of finding a classical particle at position x, in a harmonic potential.

I have a general probability function P(x) = C*exp(-1/T * V(x) ), where T is the temperature, but this just gives a Gauss-function naturally, but what I want is to make a graph like this:

I know this one is quantum mechanical, but for high quantum numbers I should get a similar looking graph (smooth, without all the peaks).

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong? I can't really see what I should do to get the correct result using this probability function.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    I can add some more information about my question:

What I have is a list of position, velocity and acceleration values at each timestep in a verlet simulation.

If I make a histogram of the positions I get what I should get (high bars at the turning points).

This histogram should give a clear indication of the probability function describing the probability of finding the particle at some position x.

But, according to the Gibbs distribution we got:

P(x,v) = 1/Z * exp( -1/T * (½mv^2 + ½m*w^2*x^2 )

Where Z is the partitionfunction, normalizing P(x,v).

So integrating v out of the above equation gives

P(x) = K * exp( -1/T * ½m*w^2*x^2)

Where K is just some new normalizationconstant.

But how am I supposed to use this P(x) to compare with my histogram? As I wrote before P(x) is just a Gauss-function, and there must be something I'm missing or misunderstood.

I hope someone can help me :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?