1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients for three spin-1 particles?

1. Apr 29, 2013 #1
    I'm doing a problem where I need to know the coefficients to change from the
    [itex] \vec{J} = \vec{J}_1 + \vec{J}_2 + \vec{J}_3 [/itex] to the {[itex]\vec{J}_1, \vec{J}_2, \vec{J}_3[/itex]} for three spin-1 particles, but I'm having trouble finding a table or reference for this... surely every time someone needs to write such a wave function they don't do all the algebra by hand, so where can I find a table to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You combine the angular momenta two at a time.

4. Apr 29, 2013 #3
    This doesn't really help me...

For my situation, suppose I want to find all the states with [itex] m = 2 [/itex]. Well, there are three possibilities:

[itex] \mid j = 3, m =2 \rangle [/itex]

and then two distinct states with [itex] \mid j = 2, m = 2 \rangle [/itex] which correspond to a
    symmetric and anti-symmetric state, presumably. How can I construct these by just coupling [itex] j_{12} [/itex] with [itex] j_3 [/itex] (where [itex] j_{12} [/itex] is the coupled-states of [itex] j_1 [/itex] and [itex] j_2 [/itex])? How do I even start and how do I know which linear combinations to couple to which? It's very confusing. :(

5. Apr 30, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Well, give it a shot. There's no shortcut method if that's what you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted