1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CLIMATE physics-general atmospheric circulation

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to find sketches that demonstrate ,the general circulation patterns of the atmosphere and the cells in atmosphere of a planet.3 cases must be considered:a slow rotating ,a fast rotating and a non rotating planet.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems that corriolis effect has an impact and is related with the rotation speed.
    Earth did not rotate, air flowing from a higher latitude toward the equator would move directly south or north (depending on the hemisphere). However, because of the rotation, air that flows toward the equator is moving from a latitude where its rotational speed is less to a latitude where the rotational speed is more. As a result, that air rotates more slowly than the land below it, so it "falls behind" and it is deflected toward the west .
    This produces a wind at the equator that flows from east to west.
    Likewise, air flowing away from the equator and towards a higher, more slowly rotating latitude will rotate more rapidly than the land below, and will deflect towards the east to produce a west-to-east wind.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's fine for the winds at the surface near the equator. What about winds high aloft? What about winds at, say 45 degrees latitude? If the Earth was rotating very slowly, how would this change the answer to my question about winds at 45 degrees latitude?

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    at 45 degrees the winds would be deflected less i think if the planet was slow rotating.
    Is there any book where i can look about this ,because i have searched in many and found nothing(peixoto,taylor,wallace)

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Which way do the winds primarily blow in the middle latitudes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook