Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closure relation in infinite dimensions

1. Apr 28, 2015 #1
    The closure relation in infinite dimension is : ∫|x><x|dx =I (identity operator),but if we apply the limit definition of the integral the result is not logic or intuitive.
    The limit definition of the integral is a∫b f(x)dx=lim(n-->∞) [i=1]∑[i=∞]f(ci)Δxi, where Δxi=(b-a)/n (n--.>∞) and ci=a+((b-a)/n)Δxi.
    Apply the limit definition of the integral in the case of the closure relation above, it seems not logic and intuitive that
    ∫|x><x|dx=I(identity operator). ????
    so how it comes ∫|x><x|dx=I(identity operator). I should take it for granted or there is a prove for it ?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2015 #2

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to study Rigged Hilbert Spaces:
    http://physics.lamar.edu/rafa/webdis.pdf [Broken]

See page 104 on the Gelfand-Maurin Theorem.

Be warned - its what mathematicians call non trivial - meaning its hard.

Intuitively however its along these lines. Consider position as a very large number of discreet values xi. ∑|xi><xi| = 1. Define xi' as xi/√Δx. So it becomes Σ|xi'><xi'| Δx. Take the limit as Δx goes to zero and you get ∫ |x><x| dx = 1. Of course |x> then has infinite length so doesn't belong to a Hilbert space - to get around that you need Rigged Hilbert Spaces.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook