Closure relation in infinite dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses the closure relation in infinite dimension and the application of the limit definition of the integral. It is noted that while the closure relation is typically expressed as ∫|x><x|dx = I (identity operator), applying the limit definition of the integral seems illogical and counterintuitive. The conversation then suggests studying Rigged Hilbert Spaces, specifically the Gelfand-Maurin Theorem, for a better understanding of this concept. The summary ends with the suggestion that while the concept may be non-trivial, it can be intuitively understood by considering position as a large number of discreet values and taking the limit as the interval size approaches zero.
amjad-sh
The closure relation in infinite dimension is : ∫|x><x|dx =I (identity operator),but if we apply the limit definition of the integral the result is not logic or intuitive.
The limit definition of the integral is a∫b f(x)dx=lim(n-->∞) [i=1]∑[i=∞]f(ci)Δxi, where Δxi=(b-a)/n (n--.>∞) and ci=a+((b-a)/n)Δxi.
Apply the limit definition of the integral in the case of the closure relation above, it seems not logic and intuitive that
∫|x><x|dx=I(identity operator). ?
so how it comes ∫|x><x|dx=I(identity operator). I should take it for granted or there is a prove for it ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
amjad-sh said:
so how it comes ∫|x><x|dx=I(identity operator). I should take it for granted or there is a prove for it ?

You need to study Rigged Hilbert Spaces:
http://physics.lamar.edu/rafa/webdis.pdf

See page 104 on the Gelfand-Maurin Theorem.

Be warned - its what mathematicians call non trivial - meaning its hard.

Intuitively however its along these lines. Consider position as a very large number of discreet values xi. ∑|xi><xi| = 1. Define xi' as xi/√Δx. So it becomes Σ|xi'><xi'| Δx. Take the limit as Δx goes to zero and you get ∫ |x><x| dx = 1. Of course |x> then has infinite length so doesn't belong to a Hilbert space - to get around that you need Rigged Hilbert Spaces.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes amjad-sh

1. What is the closure relation in infinite dimensions?

The closure relation in infinite dimensions is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between a set of basis vectors and the space they span. It states that any vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors, thus "closing" the space under linear combinations.

2. Why is the closure relation important in infinite dimensions?

Infinite-dimensional spaces are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with a large number of degrees of freedom. The closure relation allows us to represent any vector in this space using a finite set of basis vectors, making computations and analyses more manageable.

3. How is the closure relation different in finite and infinite dimensions?

Infinite-dimensional spaces have an infinite number of basis vectors, while finite-dimensional spaces have a finite number. In finite dimensions, the closure relation is exact, meaning that any vector can be represented exactly as a linear combination of the basis vectors. In infinite dimensions, the closure relation is only approximate due to the infinite number of basis vectors.

4. Can the closure relation be applied to any infinite-dimensional space?

Yes, the closure relation is a general concept that can be applied to any infinite-dimensional space, as long as it has a set of basis vectors. It is commonly used in functional analysis, which studies infinite-dimensional vector spaces.

5. What are some applications of the closure relation in infinite dimensions?

The closure relation has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used in quantum mechanics to represent wave functions and operators in infinite-dimensional Hilbert spaces. It is also used in signal processing and data analysis, where signals are represented as functions in infinite-dimensional spaces. Additionally, the closure relation is used in numerical analysis to approximate solutions to problems in infinite-dimensional spaces.