1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closure rule

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    hey
    Im having problem about closure rule
    can anyone explain the closure rule?
    why does it gives one

mads

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

you might want to elaborate on your question a little more... but an equally vague answer would be that the closure rule gives one because the states form a complete set.

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3
    well it's stated as this
    [tex]\sum{|r><r|}=I[/tex]
    I do understand a lot of QM but why is it gived as a summed product. how does bracket notation work in the sense?. what is the difference to [tex]\sum{<r|r>}[/tex]. I cant picture it in my head.

5. Oct 12, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

sorry. I tried to write a more complete post using TeX... but the forums are not letting me post it.

So... briefly:

<a|b> is an inner product in Dirac's notation. A number.

|a><b| is an "outer product". This is an operator (called a "dyadic"). It acts on states. For example,
    the action on a state |c> is to produce a ket proportional to |a>, namely |a><b|c>.

To prove the expression for a complete set write an arbitraty ket |psi> in terms of a sum over the complete set {|r>}. The coefficient of each term in the sum can be rewritten in terms of the inner product of |psi> with |r>. Rearranging and noting that psi is arbitrary gives I=sum_r |r><r|

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?