Need Help Understanding Closure Rule

• Thread starter evidenso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    closure
In summary, the closure rule in quantum mechanics states that the sum of outer products of all possible states is equal to the identity operator. This is represented in Dirac's notation as \sum{|r><r|}=I. Inner products and outer products have different meanings and the closure rule helps to represent states in terms of a complete set of states.
evidenso
hey
Im having problem about closure rule
can anyone explain the closure rule?
why does it gives one

mads

Physics news on Phys.org
evidenso said:
hey
Im having problem about closure rule
can anyone explain the closure rule?
why does it gives one

mads

you might want to elaborate on your question a little more... but an equally vague answer would be that the closure rule gives one because the states form a complete set.

well it's stated as this
[tex]\sum{|r><r|}=I[/tex]
I do understand a lot of QM but why is it gived as a summed product. how does bracket notation work in the sense?. what is the difference to [tex]\sum{<r|r>}[/tex]. I can't picture it in my head.

sorry. I tried to write a more complete post using TeX... but the forums are not letting me post it.

So... briefly:

<a|b> is an inner product in Dirac's notation. A number.

|a><b| is an "outer product". This is an operator (called a "dyadic"). It acts on states. For example,
the action on a state |c> is to produce a ket proportional to |a>, namely |a><b|c>.

To prove the expression for a complete set write an arbitraty ket |psi> in terms of a sum over the complete set {|r>}. The coefficient of each term in the sum can be rewritten in terms of the inner product of |psi> with |r>. Rearranging and noting that psi is arbitrary gives I=sum_r |r><r|

Related to Need Help Understanding Closure Rule

What is closure rule?

Closure rule is a mathematical principle that states that any operation performed on a set of numbers or variables will result in a value that is also a member of the same set. In other words, the result of an operation on a set will always be within that same set.

How is closure rule used in mathematics?

Closure rule is used in various mathematical concepts, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. It allows for the simplification of calculations and the ability to prove theorems and equations. It is also fundamental in understanding the properties of different number systems and sets.

Can you provide an example of closure rule in action?

An example of closure rule can be seen in the addition of two even numbers. When adding two even numbers, the result will always be an even number, which is a member of the same set. For example, 4 + 6 = 10, and 10 is also an even number.

What are the benefits of understanding closure rule?

Understanding closure rule can help in problem-solving and critical thinking in various fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and engineering. It also allows for the identification of patterns and relationships between different mathematical concepts.

Are there any limitations to closure rule?

While closure rule is a fundamental principle in mathematics, it does have limitations. It only applies to certain operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also cannot be used with infinite sets or operations involving complex numbers.