Clustering of primordial black holes

In summary, the authors study the spatial clustering properties of primordial black holes, concluding that they cannot be the majority of dark matter in the universe. They also show that mergers of these black holes could lead to their destruction.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0509141

Clustering of Primordial Black Holes: Basic Results
Authors: James R. Chisholm
Comments: 22 pages, 3 figures; submitted to PRD

We investigate the spatial clustering properties of primordial black holes (PBHs). With minimal assumptions, we show that PBHs are created highly clustered. They constitute an isocurvature perturbation that is non-linear upon horizon entry. Using the peaks theory model of bias, we compute the PBH two-point correlation function and power spectrum. A consequence of this is that PBHs cannot serve as the majority of dark matter in the universe. We show that this clustering could lead to PBH mergers that spoil the mass-creation time relation.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
uhm, what is the difference between a PBH and a regular BH? Or are they the same thing? We know that with galactic mergers black holes can grow. However i don't know of anyother way they can increase in mass.

vincentm said:
uhm, what is the difference between a PBH and a regular BH?

A PBH is just a "primordial black hole", meaning that it formed in the early moments of the universe. This would be in contrast to, for example, a black hole that formed from a collapsed star.

We know that with galactic mergers black holes can grow. However i don't know of anyother way they can increase in mass.

Black holes can grow by accreting material around them, merging into one another, or disrupting nearby objects, like stars. There are also more exotic proposals that involve them swallowing dark energy, but that's still just an idea.

SpaceTiger said:
A PBH is just a "primordial black hole", meaning that it formed in the early moments of the universe. This would be in contrast to, for example, a black hole that formed from a collapsed star.
Okay, that's what i was thinking, upon posting that question i had forgotten the meaning of the word "primordial" and it's application, thanks

Black holes can grow by accreting material around them,
Well aren't they considered messy eaters meaning they consume more than they can chew, hence the reason for the acretion disks that are formed? but say for instance that one is formed in a binary system in which one of the 2 stars collapses, and acretes matter from the other stars, and after which there is no other matter to consume, will it just die out?

merging into one another,
This i have read and that makes sense to me, they become super massive black holes?
or disrupting nearby objects, like stars.
I apologize, but on this, can you elaborate?
There are also more exotic proposals that involve them swallowing dark energy, but that's still just an idea.
this i haven't heard of, yet </hint>
:smile:

vincentm said:
Well aren't they considered messy eaters meaning they consume more than they can chew, hence the reason for the acretion disks that are formed?

Accretion disks form primarily because of the conservation of angular momentum. A black hole cannot simply "pull in" a clump of gas if that gas is moving perpendicular to the line between it and the black hole. Instead of fall in, the gas will tend to orbit around it, much like the planets orbit the sun. However, angular momentum can be transported from one object to another, so if that gas can give its angular momentum away to some other object (usually more gas), then it can fall in closer to the black hole. The exact mechanism by which the angular momentum is exchanged is still a matter of debate, but most astronomers think it has to do with magnetic fields.

but say for instance that one is formed in a binary system in which one of the 2 stars collapses, and acretes matter from the other stars, and after which there is no other matter to consume, will it just die out?

Eventually, but not for a very long time. Black holes evaporate by way of Hawking radiation.

This i have read and that makes sense to me, they become super massive black holes?

The distinction between stellar mass black holes, supermassive black holes, and intermediate mass black holes is pretty arbitrary. I would say that a stellar mass black hole is one with less than about 100 solar masses and a supermassive black hole would be one with more than about a million solar masses.

I apologize, but on this, can you elaborate?

Because of their strong gravity, black holes can induce large tidal forces on nearby objects. If it's close enough to the black hole, a star can be tidally disrupted (torn asunder) and "swallowed" by the black hole.

this i haven't heard of, yet

We're still not sure what "dark energy" is, but in some theories (like quintessence), it could be due to some scalar field. This would mean that the dark energy could be accreted by the black hole. Here's one such reference that discusses this issue:

Bean & Magueijo 2002

The other difference between PBHs and other sorts of BH is they can be of small, even very small, mass. This is because they were created out of small pockets of overdensity in the very early universe when gravitational forces were huge, because densities were huge.

Those of a mass equal to Mount Everest would be evaporating by Hawking radiation about now... (GRBs?)

Small PBHs were once thought to be a candidate for a DM particle, but I think that has been ruled out now (?).

Garth

Last edited:
Garth said:
Small PBHs were once thought to be a candidate for a DM particle, but I think that has been ruled out now (?).

Some would say so, but it's not quite clear. There are direct observational constraints on massive PBHs, but the smaller ones are considerably more elusive. They can't be constrained directly, but some claim that their presence would cause problems for reionization.

There are also constraints on the abundance of miniature PBH's based on the cosmic gamma ray background.

1. What is clustering of primordial black holes?

Clustering of primordial black holes refers to the phenomenon where these objects, which were formed in the early stages of the universe, are found in groups or clusters rather than being randomly distributed.

2. How are primordial black holes formed?

Primordial black holes are formed during the early stages of the universe, when high energy fluctuations cause regions of high density to collapse under their own gravity. These collapses result in the formation of black holes.

3. What is the significance of clustering in primordial black holes?

The clustering of primordial black holes can provide valuable information about the conditions of the early universe and the processes that led to their formation. It can also help in understanding the distribution of dark matter in the universe.

4. Can clustering of primordial black holes be observed?

Yes, the clustering of primordial black holes can be observed through a variety of methods, such as gravitational lensing, microlensing, and X-ray emissions. These observations can provide insights into the distribution and properties of these objects.

5. How does the clustering of primordial black holes affect the evolution of the universe?

The clustering of primordial black holes can have significant effects on the evolution of the universe, such as influencing the growth of galaxies and the distribution of matter. It can also play a role in the formation and evolution of supermassive black holes.