CMOS Sensor with external reset control

In summary: Found several sensor with analog output where this is possible by controlling the X-CLK and Y-CLK seperatly and also controlling which line to reset and which to read.Pause Y-CLK at reset and control X-CLK to switch to next pixel after read.
Jaynte
Hi

I've been searching for a CMOS or CCD sensor with raw analog output and external reset/transfer control but has not been able to find this. Doesn't have to be great resolution.

Anyone knows if there is a sensor like this on the market today?

Best
Johan

Jaynte said:
Hi

I've been searching for a CMOS or CCD sensor with raw analog output and external reset/transfer control but has not been able to find this. Doesn't have to be great resolution.

Anyone knows if there is a sensor like this on the market today?

Best
Johan

What exactly do you mean as external reset/transfer control? I work in the area of solid-Sstate imaging. We make CCDs that are fully analog (inputs are clocks and transfer gate, outputs are pure analog. I might be able to help.

I thought the sensors would be integrate and dump, so they are continuously being reset.

Better to explain exactly what you are actually trying to do, the timing requirements, sensitivity, etc.

analogdesign said:
What exactly do you mean as external reset/transfer control? I work in the area of solid-Sstate imaging. We make CCDs that are fully analog (inputs are clocks and transfer gate, outputs are pure analog. I might be able to help.

I'm sorry I've might have been unclear with my post.

With reset/transfer I mean the transistors in a 3T or 4T CMOS sensor. I would like to control the gates of these transistors externally.

Actually what I'm trying to do is to read out the pixels during the time they are reset:ed to get the response of the photo diode without any accumulation/integration.

What I have found is that some sensors can be set to zero integration time (exposure time) so my idea is to do that and slow down or totally stop the system clock to get the same behaviour. But then the output needs to be analog.

look at these arrays with different shutter options selected. Maybe one will do what you want. Then maybe you can find one with those features and analog out.
Do you understand all the different shutter architectures?
global shutter
pipelined global
pipelined and global trigger, etc

http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/parametrics.do?id=101682

It's pretty common to read out the "dark noise", but I don't know what sensors or control chips are used.

meBigGuy said:
look at these arrays with different shutter options selected. Maybe one will do what you want. Then maybe you can find one with those features and analog out.
Do you understand all the different shutter architectures?
global shutter
pipelined global
pipelined and global trigger, etc

http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/parametrics.do?id=101682

It's pretty common to read out the "dark noise", but I don't know what sensors or control chips are used.

Yes, I need rolling shutter for this. I found a sensor on your link that I think will be perfect. Thanks.

Wow --- I'm surprised that rolling shutter works for what you want. It dumps a line at a time. Can you live with the changing exposure time as you sequence across the array?

meBigGuy said:
Wow --- I'm surprised that rolling shutter works for what you want. It dumps a line at a time. Can you live with the changing exposure time as you sequence across the array?

Yes I'm going to read the line pixel by pixel while the line is reset:ed so that each pixel acts as a plain photo diode and not accumulating charge (no exposure time).
Found several sensor with analog output where this is possible by controlling the X-CLK and Y-CLK seperatly and also controlling which line to reset and which to read.

Pause Y-CLK at reset and control X-CLK to switch to next pixel after read.

Related to CMOS Sensor with external reset control

1. What is a CMOS sensor with external reset control?

A CMOS sensor with external reset control is a type of image sensor used in digital cameras and other imaging devices. It is a type of complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) sensor that has an additional external pin for triggering a reset signal, which helps improve the accuracy and speed of image capture.

2. How does external reset control work in a CMOS sensor?

The external reset control pin in a CMOS sensor allows for a precise and synchronized reset of the sensor's electronic circuits. This helps eliminate any noise or interference that may have accumulated during the previous image capture, resulting in clearer and more accurate images.

3. What are the benefits of using a CMOS sensor with external reset control?

Some of the main benefits of using a CMOS sensor with external reset control include improved image quality and faster image capture speed. The external reset control also allows for more flexibility in the design and implementation of the sensor, making it a popular choice for various imaging applications.

4. Is a CMOS sensor with external reset control better than other types of image sensors?

It depends on the specific application and requirements. CMOS sensors with external reset control are generally preferred for high-speed imaging and applications where precise timing and synchronization are critical. However, other types of image sensors may be more suitable for different purposes.

5. How is a CMOS sensor with external reset control different from a traditional CMOS sensor?

A traditional CMOS sensor does not have an external reset control pin and relies on internal reset mechanisms. In contrast, a CMOS sensor with external reset control offers more precise and customizable control over the reset process, resulting in improved image quality and speed.