How Do You Test Coax Cable Assembly Characteristics Using a VNA and Smith Chart?

In summary: For capacitance, if the end is open, the input is capacitive. You can find the capacitance by using the Smith Chart and then use 49MHz to back calculate the capacitance.
dnyberg2
I need to test a coax cable assy for loss, resistance (AC&DC?) capacitance and inductance? Using a VNA in smith chart mode, how is it done? Do I sweep the coax (S11) with the other end open, shorted and then terminated? I know sweeping S21 will give me the loss @ freq of interest. Its the capacitance and inductance I'm not sure about.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How long is your cable assembly, and at what frequencies do you need L and C?

For loss, assuming you know the characteristic impedance, you use the VNA and plot the S21 in rectangular form with the correct termination. You see the signal attenuate with frequency. From that, you find the attenuation constant [itex]\alpha\;[/itex] and back calculate.

There are 5 diff lengths 3.5, 5.5, 6.5, 9 & 12" all at 49 MHz.

Are you asking about the inductance or capacitance at the input of the coax when the end is open or shorted? That's totally different from the inherent L and C. The characteristic L and C is governed by

[tex]Z_0=\sqrt{\frac L C}[/tex]

Where Z0 is the characteristic impedance, L and C is the inductance and capacitance per unit length.

If you are asking whether the input is inductive or capacitive of the coax at different length at 49MHz when the end is open, then it's a different story. For 49MHz, let's assume εr=4, this mean the speed of the EM wave propagates through the coax is about half of light which is 1.5EE8 m/sec. For 49MHz, the wavelength λ≈118"

Your longest coax is 12", it is only 1/10 λ. This is way smaller than λ/4. The input is inductance if the end is open. You can find the impedance by using the Smith Chart and then use 49MHz to back calculate the inductance.

The number I used is assume εr=4, you have to do the calculation with the number for your coax. The speed of the EM propagation is

[tex]V_p= \frac 1 {\sqrt{ε_0 ε_r μ}} \; , \; λ= \frac {V_p}{49\times 10^6}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Test Coax Cable Assembly Characteristics Using a VNA and Smith Chart?

1. What is coax cable assy testing?

Coax cable assy testing is a process used to ensure the quality and functionality of coaxial cable assemblies, which are used to transmit high frequency signals in various industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and defense.

2. Why is it important to test coax cable assemblies?

Testing coax cable assemblies is important because it ensures that they meet the required specifications and standards for their intended use. It also helps identify any defects or faults that could impact the performance of the cable.

3. What are the common methods used for coax cable assy testing?

The most common methods for coax cable assy testing include visual inspection, continuity testing, insertion loss testing, and high voltage testing. Additional specialized tests may also be performed depending on the specific requirements of the application.

4. How are coax cable assemblies tested for insertion loss?

Insertion loss testing involves measuring the attenuation of a signal as it passes through the cable assembly. This is typically done by injecting a known signal into one end of the assembly and measuring the signal strength at the other end. The difference between the input and output signal strength is the insertion loss.

5. What are the consequences of not testing coax cable assemblies?

Not testing coax cable assemblies can lead to potential issues and failures in the system where they are used. This can result in downtime, loss of data, and even safety hazards in critical applications. Additionally, failure to meet industry standards and regulations can result in costly penalties and damaged reputation for companies.