Coefficient of Friction/Projectile motion problem

In summary, the problem is asking for the coefficient of kinetic friction between a block projected at 3.0 m/s on a horizontal surface and the surface. The equations that can be used are M=Ff/N and (Fapplied-Ff)=ma. The mass of the block is not given, but can be represented as 'm'. The normal force can be represented as 'mg'.
rmiller94

Homework Statement

A block is projected with a speed of 3.0 m/s on a horizontal surface. if the block comes to rest in 1.5 m, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface?

Homework Equations

M=Ff/N
(Fapplied-Ff)=ma

I'm not really sure which equations to use for this problem since there is no mass given for the block.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to go about doing this problem!

I've been solving more complex friction problems but I'm currently baffled since there is no way to calculate a force, etc.
I'm taking a 12th grade physics class, by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller94 said:
I'm not really sure which equations to use for this problem since there is no mass given for the block.
Maybe it doesn't matter. :wink: Just call the mass 'm' and continue. What's the force acting on the block?

i'm not really sure since there's no mass or weight given it seems impossible to find the normal force.

the only givens are in the problem stated above.

i'm so confused! hahah

rmiller94 said:
i'm not really sure since there's no mass or weight given it seems impossible to find the normal force.
Call the mass 'm'. What's the normal force? (Give it symbolically, not in terms of numbers.)

ooh haha i guess the normal force would just be mg?

rmiller94 said:
ooh haha i guess the normal force would just be mg?
Right! Keep going.

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless number typically denoted by the symbol "μ" and is used to calculate the force of friction between two objects.

2. How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction is measured by conducting experiments in which two objects with known masses and surface areas are placed in contact and pulled or pushed against each other. The force of friction is then measured and used to calculate the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by a variety of factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the speed and direction of the objects in motion.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact projectile motion?

The coefficient of friction can impact projectile motion by affecting the trajectory and speed of the projectile. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a shorter and slower trajectory, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a longer and faster trajectory.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants or changing the nature of the surfaces in contact. Additionally, reducing the applied force and minimizing the presence of any contaminants can also help to decrease the coefficient of friction.