Coefficients of static friction

In summary, the coefficients of static friction for human skin with steel, aluminum, and wood are difficult to determine and may vary depending on the condition of the skin and the test method used. The most readily available information is for the bottom of feet and can be found by searching for slip and fall data, possibly including OSHA. However, for more accurate results, it is suggested to use the skin on the inside of the forearm to test samples of wood, aluminum, and steel and measure the angle at which the sample begins to move. It should be noted that the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the condition of the skin and the test conditions used.
cdorman
Can anyone tell me the coefficients of static friction for these material combinations? Or does anyone know where I might be able to find them.
human skin - steel
human skin - aluminum
human skin - wood

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
cdorman said:
Can anyone tell me the coefficients of static friction for these material combinations? Or does anyone know where I might be able to find them.
human skin - steel
human skin - aluminum
human skin - wood

Thanks
It really depends to a great extent on which skin you're talking about and its condition, i.e., sweaty, calloused, etc.
The most readily available information will be for the bottom of feet and you might Google slip and fall and maybe add OSHA. I believe a lot of the data is for a standardized piece of pigskin, but you should get the idea.

Those are really obscure you don't have the sample of skin to actually test for the values? If but some random chance you can test it I would, the values would probably be hard to find on the internet...

yeah, they're kinda strange. I found the values for steel and aluminum which are bout around .2 and my teacher just sent a message saying that the value for wood is around .91 Hopefully they're right

cdorman said:
yeah, they're kinda strange. I found the values for steel and aluminum which are bout around .2 and my teacher just sent a message saying that the value for wood is around .91 Hopefully they're right

So, there's an easy way to actually determine this. Use the skin on the inside of your forearm. Find samples of wood, aluminum, and steel (you can use aluminum and steel jar lids with some weight added, or a heavy steel washer, or a weight with smooth aluminum foil wrapped around it). Place your arm flat on a table with the sample just above your wrist. Slowly raise your arm till the sample begins to move. Stop. Have a friend measure the angle of your arm wrt the table. The tan of that angle is the coefficient of static friction for that sample.

The friction coefficient is measured when the two surfaces are dry. So I do not think one can find reproducible values.

You're quite right that skin friction will be hard to reproduce. However, coefficient of friction is measured under many conditions - dry, wet, oiled, or with rosin (in the case of skin); you just need to say which way you've done it.

1. What is the definition of coefficients of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a unitless value that quantifies the amount of force required to overcome the friction between two stationary surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the maximum frictional force that can be applied to an object before it starts to move (static frictional force) by the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact (roughness, material, etc.), the weight of the object, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. How does the coefficient of static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction applies to stationary objects, while the coefficient of kinetic friction applies to objects in motion. The value of the coefficient of static friction is typically higher than that of kinetic friction.

5. Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in contact with each other. It is used in many practical applications, such as designing vehicles and determining the maximum weight that can be placed on a surface before it starts to slide.