1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cofactor expansion

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the determinant of
    4...3...-5
    5...2...-3
    0..-1....2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to get the answer using each of the 3 rows and each time I get a different answer. For the first row I get 14, the second row I get -31, and the third row I get -1. However, I thought that the determinant would be the same value for whichever row (or column) you choose to expand.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it certainly should be!

Expanding by the first column (since it has only 2 non-zero entries):
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}4 & 3 & -5 \\ 6 & 2 & -3 \\ 0 & -1 & 2 \end{array}\right|= 4\left|\begin{array}{cc}2 & -3 \\ -1 & 2\end{array}\left|- 5\right|\begin{array}{cc} 3 & -5 \\ -1 & 2\end{array}\right|[/tex]
    [tex]4(4- 3)- 5(6- 5)= 4(1)- 5(1)= -1[/tex]
    The determinant is -1. I notice that is what you got using the third row which also has only two non-zero entries. Perhaps it is that third entry that is confusing you.

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    But if you try to work out the determinant using the other rows that do not contain the 0 entry, it does not come out to -1!! Why?

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    Ah, I just realized I wasn't multiplying one of the terms with the cofactor expansion!! I feel silly....thanks for your help though!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?