Coffeeshop Astrophysics Meeting on Gravitational Waves

In summary, the meeting is about the discovery of gravitational waves and how future developments may lead to more accurate measurements.
In about an hour I'm heading over to a local Coffeeshop Astrophysics meeting put on by researchers and grad students at UW-Milwaukee. The topic is the gravity wave discovery. Apparently some of them contributed to the LIGO project so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say. I'll update in this thread with any interesting info.

http://www.cgca.uwm.edu/coffee/index.html

If you have a question, post it here and I'll do my best to get it answered.

Likes DennisN and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
I've often heard in these days that LIGO represents a new way of astronomic measurement and future instruments will detect even more GW, e.g. from the very early universe(?).
How can refinements be achieved? Going into orbit or extending the length of the legs, are improvements on the apparatus thinkable or similar to radio telescopy a connection of various experiments at different places on earth? Are there already plans for it (by whom ever)?

Please ask them what they think about the new "5th dimension"

fresh_42 said:
I've often heard in these days that LIGO represents a new way of astronomic measurement and future instruments will detect even more GW, e.g. from the very early universe(?).
How can refinements be achieved? Going into orbit or extending the length of the legs, are improvements on the apparatus thinkable or similar to radio telescopy a connection of various experiments at different places on earth? Are there already plans for it (by whom ever)?
Can you boil this into an easier one question sentence. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you boil this into an easier one question sentence. :smile:
If LIGO is a new instrument in astronomy where (and how) will future developments lead us to?

We need an emoticon for pedantic mode: it should be gravitational waves, not gravity waves. :oldbiggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt, berkeman and Silicon Waffle
Huge crowd at the meeting. I'm still fairly in front and there must be over 100 ppl in this coffee shop!
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1455995221.580244.jpg

Likes Sophia, jw6661, Astronuc and 4 others
Samy_A said:
We need an emoticon for pedantic mode: it should be gravitational waves, not gravity waves. :oldbiggrin:
Thread title edited. :smile:

Likes Samy_A and Greg Bernhardt
Here the audience is impersonating the chirp

Likes Samy_A, fresh_42, jw6661 and 1 other person

1. What is a coffeeshop astrophysics meeting?

A coffeeshop astrophysics meeting is an informal gathering of scientists and researchers in the field of astrophysics, usually held in a coffee shop or other casual setting. These meetings provide an opportunity for scientists to discuss and exchange ideas and findings related to astrophysics in a relaxed and informal environment.

2. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and were recently observed for the first time in 2015. Gravitational waves carry information about the objects and events that created them, such as the collision of two black holes.

3. How are coffeeshop astrophysics meetings related to gravitational waves?

Coffeeshop astrophysics meetings often include discussions and presentations on current research and developments related to gravitational waves. These meetings provide a platform for scientists to share their findings and collaborate on future projects related to this exciting area of astrophysics.

4. Who can attend a coffeeshop astrophysics meeting?

Anyone with an interest in astrophysics and gravitational waves can attend a coffeeshop astrophysics meeting. While these meetings are often attended by scientists and researchers, they are also open to students, educators, and members of the general public who are interested in learning more about this field of study.

5. How can I stay updated on upcoming coffeeshop astrophysics meetings on gravitational waves?

You can stay updated on upcoming coffeeshop astrophysics meetings on gravitational waves by following relevant organizations and institutions on social media, checking their websites for event listings, and subscribing to newsletters or mailing lists. You can also reach out to local universities or research institutions to inquire about upcoming meetings in your area.