Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coffeeshop Astrophysics Meeting on Gravitational Waves

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1
    In about an hour I'm heading over to a local Coffeeshop Astrophysics meeting put on by researchers and grad students at UW-Milwaukee. The topic is the gravity wave discovery. Apparently some of them contributed to the LIGO project so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say. I'll update in this thread with any interesting info.

http://www.cgca.uwm.edu/coffee/index.html

If you have a question, post it here and I'll do my best to get it answered.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I've often heard in these days that LIGO represents a new way of astronomic measurement and future instruments will detect even more GW, e.g. from the very early universe(?).
    How can refinements be achieved? Going into orbit or extending the length of the legs, are improvements on the apparatus thinkable or similar to radio telescopy a connection of various experiments at different places on earth? Are there already plans for it (by whom ever)?

4. Feb 20, 2016 #3
    Please ask them what they think about the new "5th dimension"

5. Feb 20, 2016 #4
    Can you boil this into an easier one question sentence. :smile:

6. Feb 20, 2016 #5

fresh_42

If LIGO is a new instrument in astronomy where (and how) will future developments lead us to?

7. Feb 20, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We need an emoticon for pedantic mode: it should be gravitational waves, not gravity waves. :oldbiggrin:

8. Feb 20, 2016 #7
    Huge crowd at the meeting. I'm still fairly in front and there must be over 100 ppl in this coffee shop! ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1455995221.580244.jpg

9. Feb 20, 2016 #8

berkeman

Thread title edited. :smile:

10. Feb 20, 2016 #9
    Here the audience is impersonating the chirp

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook