What is the coherence length and coherence time of the filtered light?

In summary, the problem involves using a filter with a pass band of 10 nm to obtain approximately monochromatic light with a mean wavelength of 600 nm. The equations used to calculate the coherence length and coherence time of the filtered light are cτ0=lc, <τ0>=1/Δν, and lc=c/Δν=λ2/Δλ. The wavelength used in the equations is 600 nm and the spectral width is 10 nm.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

A filter is used to obtain approximately monochromatic light from a white sources. If the pass band of the filter is 10 nm, what is the coherence length and coherence time of the filtered light? The mean wavelength is 600 nm.

Homework Equations

[tex]c\tau_{0}=l_{c}[/tex]
[tex]<\tau_{0}>=\frac{1}{\Delta\nu}[/tex]
[tex]l_{c}=\frac{c}{\Delta\nu}=\frac{\lambda^{2}}{\Delta\lambda}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem gives me the wavelengths, so I would star by using the third equation. However, I don't understand the book's description of D lambda, the spectral width, and I'm not sure which wavelength to use, 600 nm or 10 nm,

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not advanced physics. Still, I think that [tex]\lambda = 600 \tex{ nm}[/tex], and [tex]\Delta\lambda = 10 \tex{ nm}[/tex].

o, okay, thanks a lot

1. What is coherence length and time?

Coherence length and time refer to the spatial and temporal extent over which a wave maintains a constant phase relationship. In other words, it is the distance or time over which the wave maintains its characteristic pattern.

2. How is coherence length and time measured?

Coherence length is typically measured in units of distance, such as meters or millimeters, while coherence time is measured in units of time, such as seconds or nanoseconds. These measurements are obtained through experimental techniques, such as interferometry.

3. Why is coherence length and time important in science?

Coherence length and time play a crucial role in many areas of science, particularly in optics and laser technology. They determine the quality and stability of a wave, which is important in applications such as imaging, communication, and sensing.

4. How does coherence length and time affect interference patterns?

Coherence length and time are directly related to the visibility of interference patterns. A longer coherence length or time results in a higher visibility, meaning that the interference pattern is more distinct and defined.

5. Can coherence length and time be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, coherence length and time can be controlled and manipulated through various methods, such as using optical elements to adjust the path length or using frequency filters to select specific wavelengths. This allows for the optimization of coherence for specific applications.