Euler Problem #14: Find Longest Chain <1M

In summary: And he's about to make them bigger and faster.I'm just suggesting that he use xrange() rather than range() in his for loops.In summary, the conversation discusses a coding problem where the goal is to determine which starting value under one million produces the longest chain. The individual shares their code in Python and mentions that it works for lower numbers but takes a long time for larger numbers. Others suggest using a more efficient method and optimizing the algorithm. The conversation also touches on the importance of using xrange() instead of range() in for loops to avoid consuming excessive memory.
~Death~
im trying to do the Euler problem #14 - to determine which starting value under one million produces the longest chain

and here's my code in Python

Code:
Count=[]
Count2=[]
List=[]
def seq(n):
	if n%2==0:
		return n/2
	else:
		return 3*n+1
m=1
for i in range(1,1000000):
	j=i
	List.append(j)
	while seq(j)>1:
		List.append(seq(j))
		j=seq(j)
	List.append(1)
	Count.append(len(List))
	List=[] #Reset List
	if max(Count)>m:	
		m=max(Count)
		Count2.append((m,i))
print Count2[len(Count2)-1]
raw_input("...")
However, I left it on all night and it still did not finish

but it works for lower numbers like for in in range(1,1000) only takes a few seconds

anyone know what my problem is?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, one thing is that you're doing 1000 times more iterations through the loop; that adds up fast. Suppose the time per iteration was constant, and 1000 iterations took 15 seconds. Then 15 seconds * 1000 = 4.2 hours.

Another thing is that, on average, a bigger starting number means longer chains -- so the time it takes to do one iteration of your loop is actually increasing, not remaining constant.

By the way, use [code] ... [/code] tags around your code to format it properly.

Last edited:
Ok thanks Hurkly

im still not sure how to reduce the # of iterations id have to do though

even if I just go

Code:
      print seq(i)

it takes a long time

Displaying stuff to screen is a slow operation. I bet that would only take a second or so if you did something else, like appending seq(i) to a list.

Code:
def seq(n):
	if n%2==0:
		return n/2
	else:
		return 3*n+1

def rec(n):

while seq(n)>1:
		n=seq(n)
	return n

rec(i)
raw_input('...')

Even this is still running half an hour later on my computer
and it's the most efficient way I can think of to just run through each chain

so maybe I just have to skip this problem or something if its going to take a day to do

Well, you've checked that you can do 1,000,000 iterations of something simply fairly quickly.

And you've observed that directly computing the length of an entire chain doesn't count as quick.

So, you cannot approach the problem by writing a solution to "find the length of a chain by enumerating it" and then executing that solution 1,000,000 times. You need to do something fundamentally different. For example, in no particular order:

(1) Find some other method of finding the length of an individual chain.

(2) Rather than treating each individual calculation independently, find some way to take advantage of the fact you're really trying to calculate 1,000,000 of them.

(3) Some other clever tweak.

(4) Switch to another programming language and optimize the heck out of the algorithm.

Thanks I got it

Code:
Count=[]
Count2=[]
Count3=[]
Count4=[]
List=[]
Part=[1]
for i in range(1,1001):
	Part.append(i*10000)
def seq(n):
	if n%2==0:
		return n/2
	else:
		return 3*n+1
m=1

for k in range(1,101):
	for i in range(Part[k-1],Part[k]):
		j=i
		List.append(j)
		while seq(j)>1:
			List.append(seq(j))
			j=seq(j)
		List.append(1)
		Count.append(len(List))
		List=[] #Reset List
		if max(Count)>m:	
			m=max(Count)
			Count2.append([m,i])	
	Count3.append(Count2[len(Count2)-1])
	Count2=[]
	m=1
	List=[]
	Count=[]
#Sorting 
for i in range(1,101):
	Count4.append(Count3[i-1][0])
m=max(Count4)
for i in range(1,101):
	if Count3[i-1][0]==m:
		answer=Count3[i-1][1]
		break
print "The starting point that makes the biggest chain is %d"%answer

print Count3
raw_input("...")

it worked I just had to do it in smaller partitions and then clear the lists each time

You may have it working, but it is still not right. From your print statements, I can see you are not using Python version 3.x, but some flavor of version 2.x.

So, you don'r want to use range() for loops that size as it will first create a list that size and then iterate through it. You should use xrange() instead. This will create a generator that will allow you to iterate through it without consuming all that memory.

Mensanator said:
You may have it working, but it is still not right.
Wait a moment -- are you saying something is actually wrong, or are you just offering a suggestion for a minor optimization?

If the latter, you're making it sound like a bigger deal than it really is. Yes, xrange is something he should be made aware of, but using range is certainly not incorrect. (And has a very minor effect in this particular case)

Hurkyl said:
Wait a moment -- are you saying something is actually wrong, or are you just offering a suggestion for a minor optimization?

If the latter, you're making it sound like a bigger deal than it really is. Yes, xrange is something he should be made aware of, but using range is certainly not incorrect. (And has a very minor effect in this particular case)

Wrong and not right are not necessarily synonymous.

The OP would be better off learning this lesson now while it's minor than having it bite him later. This is the Collatz problem, remember? Where things can get really big, really fast.

1. What is "Euler Problem #14: Find Longest Chain <1M"?

"Euler Problem #14: Find Longest Chain <1M" is a mathematical problem posed by the famous mathematician Leonhard Euler. It involves finding the starting number under one million that produces the longest Collatz sequence, which is a sequence of numbers generated by a specific mathematical formula.

2. What is a Collatz sequence?

A Collatz sequence is a sequence of numbers generated by repeatedly applying a specific mathematical formula to the previous number. The formula is as follows: if the current number is even, divide it by 2; if the current number is odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. The sequence ends when the number reaches 1.

3. How do you solve Euler Problem #14?

The most efficient way to solve Euler Problem #14 is by using a technique called memoization. This involves storing previously calculated Collatz sequences in a data structure, such as a dictionary, to avoid repeating calculations. By starting from the biggest numbers and working backwards, you can quickly determine the longest chain and its starting number.

4. Why is Euler Problem #14 significant?

Euler Problem #14 is significant because it is a classic example of a mathematical problem that may seem simple at first glance, but actually requires a clever approach to solve efficiently. It also showcases the power of using computer programming to solve complex mathematical problems.

5. Can Euler Problem #14 be solved without a computer?

Yes, it is possible to solve Euler Problem #14 without a computer, but it would be extremely time-consuming and laborious. It is estimated that even with a powerful computer, it would take over four days to calculate the solution for this problem. Therefore, using a computer is the most practical and efficient way to solve this problem.