Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,333 replies · 3M views
1682386177908-png.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, WWGD, DennisN and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Corrected. Was a translation error from Google Translate that I missed.
Hello. Please explain the joke please. Thank you.
 
Bandersnatch said:
Hello. Please explain the joke please. Thank you.
You can have the hammer but you have to return (shows up) it.
 
fresh_42 said:
You can have the hammer but you have to return (shows up) it.
1682522708771.png
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: davenn, Grelbr42, BillTre and 2 others
fresh_42 said:
You can have the hammer but you have to return (shows up) it.
I had figured this one to be one of the jokes that pick out the people who will laugh at anything. Like:
What did one baby say to the other?

What wall?

(Then laugh maniacally and see who joins in.)

-Dan
 
Sheesh, why do we have to explain stuff like this?! Google translate mis-translated "boomerang" as "submarine". The two are very close in German. :oldeyes:
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: topsquark, dextercioby, Bystander and 1 other person
The problem was that Google gave me "show up" for "auftauchen" which should have been "breaking the surface" in English. We say "auftauchen" for subs and for things that "show up" again after being out of sight.

0-7. I am very, very disappointed.
 
Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You learn a lot, but the frog dies.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: davenn, Ibix, Wrichik Basu and 9 others
fresh_42 said:
"Can you lend me the hammer?"
"Sure, but it's made of submarine steel."
"What does this mean?"
"It shows up again."
This is the kind of joke that always makes me wonder: The joke is so lame that I don't want to give it a thumbs up so as to not encourage future publications of similar jokes ... but "lame jokes" is the subject of the thread, thus it corresponds exactly to the expected criteria! So I'm always torn between reacting well to it or not.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: topsquark, DennisN and BillTre
jack action said:
This is the kind of joke that always makes me wonder: The joke is so lame that I don't want to give it a thumbs up so as to not encourage future publications of similar jokes ... but "lame jokes" is the subject of the thread, thus it corresponds exactly to the expected criteria! So I'm always torn between reacting well to it or not.
... and in addition, I got caught in laziness, letting Google translate it without making the effort to check the result. let alone choose the correct pronoun and verb.

I found it funny. It reminds me of jokes they make here with kids who want to become a craftsman. It can happen that they send you to the hardware store to get anvil grease or things like that.
 
BillTre said:
This could be an emoji.
I once caused the following dialogue:

"You laugh! Can you explain it to me?"
"No. I just learned when to laugh."
 
jack action said:
This is the kind of joke that always makes me wonder: The joke is so lame that I don't want to give it a thumbs up so as to not encourage future publications of similar jokes ... but "lame jokes" is the subject of the thread, thus it corresponds exactly to the expected criteria! So I'm always torn between reacting well to it or not.
"Can you lend me the hammer?"
.... "Sure thing, but be careful with it. It's made of submarine steel."
"Submarine steel? What's so special about that?"
.... "Well, if you use it to hammer a nail, it's going to submarine your thumb!"
"What? That's not funny!"
.... "Hey, you said you wanted it to be funnier.
.... I'm just trying to hammer home a joke here."

..."What's so special about submarine steel?"
"Well, if you use it to nail something down,
it's guaranteed to stay down,
even if Atlantis rises again."

...
Submarine steel? What does that even mean?" asked Tom.

"Well," Jerry said with a smirk, "it means that if you use it to nail something, it'll come back up to the surface again like a submarine."

Tom looked puzzled for a moment before bursting out laughing. "Okay, okay, you got me there! I'll be careful not to accidentally launch anything into orbit!"

...
"Sure, but it's made of submarine steel." "What does this mean?" "Well, it means that if you accidentally drop it in the ocean, it'll sink straight to the bottom! But don't worry, it'll show up again... in a few million years when archaeologists find it and wonder why someone made a hammer out of submarine steel."courtesy: ChatGPT

:kiss:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and DennisN
"Where did you go on your vacation?"
"Mallorca. We had a great time."
"Where's that?"
"I don't know. We flew."
 
fresh_42 said:
The problem was that Google gave me "show up" for "auftauchen" which should have been "breaking the surface" in English. We say "auftauchen" for subs and for things that "show up" again after being out of sight.
So to beat the proverbial dead horse (erm, joke) a bit more, I now understand it to be something like:

"Can I have my special hammer back you borrowed last week?"
"Oh, sorry! I can't find it right now, but don't worry it will eventually surface."
"What do you mean?"
"Well, you did say it was made from submarine steel!"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and fresh_42
Ibix said:
General Zod and the Zodettes?
Does that make the bearded guy a Zodette?